I Need To Know : [ IMDb Boards Closed !! ]

Re: [ IMDb Boards Closed !! ]

That's ridiculous, I have been a member of this website for more than 10 years, it has been my first place where I could write and exchange views on movies for all this time.

Now they are shutting it down because there aren't enough posters? Really?

Juliet Parrish: You can't win a war if you're extinct!

This is beyond ridiculous. Closing a message board, never heard of such a thing.
I've been here 10 years , check the message boards daily

I don't use Twitter and only have a Facebook account to use for reading links that lead there. This stinks.

I've been a INTK board regular for 16+ years. I'm part of the 2nd wave that came in after the old "Stump the Staff" board. A visit here has been part of my morning routine for many years now and I don't like losing it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
It's all like some bad movie.

Just wanted to say I've been here on these boards for nine years and never had a lapse in my frequent visits. Every movie I watched, I'd head straight to the IMDb boards for discussion. I lurked more than I posted, but I still relished getting involved in a fiery discussion about some trivial movie fact or controversial opinion. This place was my local haunt! I'm very sorry to see it go.

As for the comment that boards are no longer providing a 'positive, useful' experience, was anyone here actually addressed by IMDb on how they felt about the boards? I mean, were we polled or asked to partake in a survey or anything? I certainly wasn't. Where are they getting this data? I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under us.

And, no, I won't be flocking to IMDb's rubbish Facebook page. Sometimes I like having a place that's separate from my social media accounts.

As for the comment that boards are no longer providing a 'positive, useful' experience, was anyone here actually addressed by IMDb on how they felt about the boards?

No longer positive…I thought they meant too many haters and trolls…but isn't fb full of haters too? Anyway I have no fb or twitter account, and even if I did have them I wouldn't use them to post on their useless imdb page. I'll simply stop coming here.
I guess they have their reasons for closing the boards : amazon being one IMO…fair enough it's their board and it's free after all, but I feel they treated us like idiots when they suggested that the majority of users prefers Facebook !!
I've been reading the boards for over 15 years, and have been a member for 12…I'm really upset about this decision. I hope I'll find somewhere else to go, I'll stop coming here, for general info I'll just read Wikipedia,

"Please, if you are trying to convert me, this isn't a good time"

I'm not using Twitter or FB either. I wonder how they imagine it would work out there … I don't think it's realizable to make a thread there for every single movie thats listed here. So IMDB really belongs to Amazon? How can I buy my DVDs there when I can't ask here for advice for good movies (or even just read threads where someone else asked before)? xD
And if money is really the reason (what I can't imagine since Amazon is rich as *beep*) they could still use banner ads or something.

—-
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I just checked on the Facebook page and YouTube channel.

And, no, I won't be flocking to IMDb's rubbish Facebook page.

FLOCK, NO!

lol

So IMDB is closing their message boards on February 20th…

Maybe they don't want to pay for the staff anymore, the traffic which must be expensive, and it's not getting enough ad revenue for the effort… that's my guess… but IMDb's excuse that people prefer Facebook which has no such title specific discussion for those show pages that anyone actually uses is just blatant BS.

Facebook pages aren't used for this, Groups are, so only General Facebook groups on movies and tvs are, which means no specific board for a title, so it's a lot more cluttered and Facebook has no easy organization of discussion, which means, less cohesive discussion.

Also Facebook admins are the most power trippy *beep* artists with egos on the planet outside of politics.

Basically this really sucks… I've been on iMDb's message board since 2003… I use it nearly every day.

Stupid stupid stupid to close them down for the reasons we're being told, it's gotta be something else.

Maybe IMDB which clearly has the money since they're owned by Amazon, just wants to save money, but destroying social media has NEVER worked out for any company… just ask YAHOO.

Web http://www.jmberman.com">www.jmberman.com
Fcbk http://www.facebook.com/catnipdream">www.facebook.com/catnipdream

It's a shame to end them. FaceBook is not the same. I'm not going through millions of more or less inane posts on FB/Imdb to find the show that I am interested in and the more intelligent posters.

This really makes me sad :(, there's no forum out there like IMDB, where you can go and talk about a specific movie or tv show and don't have to wade through a bunch of other things

Sure there are trolls, name me one forum or site that DOESN'T have that? There isn't one.

No reason to close down the boards imo.

These boards were great at helping you find movie suggestions, or talking about a specific movie/show when youw anted to, instead of having to use a general movie forum and hope someone else is talking about the same thing, it's just not the same.

it's the wrong decision.
without these boards, there's no room for IMDb in my bookmarks.
sad.

we're desperate! we're ludicrous! we're pathetic!

This makes absolutely no sense… it's like they are trying to fight fire by throwing gas on the problem. They are way over thinking the idea of putting a large number of staff in charge of moderating a million individual message boards, when the simple solution is something that many other "boards" use to silence material that may be offensive: the community itself. Take a look around other "boards" and you'll see a demotion system being used. Slashdot for example, the community there for each news article has the opportunity to silence a message and hide it for those that don't care to read certain kinds of material or not (but can do so if they feel like it). Don't just make up everyone's mind on what they want to read, that is all kinds of bad when you start trying to rewire how everyone's brain is to be the same, when they're impossible to be the same. I think it's also a mild form of totalitarianism, fascism, censorship, call it what you will but it's no good.

Come Feb 20th 2017 I think we should all delete our account as a sign of protest. If enough people do it they will notice.

As a matter of principle I plan on boycotting IMDb for good come that day. These message boards meant a lot to me, and most of all these boards did not belong to IMDb they belonged to YOU. Without US there would be no IMDb, its user contributions are what keeps it thriving and the reliable source it generally is perceived to be.

Please Sign
https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petition-to-keep-the-imdb-messageboards-going

The boards mean and meant a lot when intelligent people posted thoughtful comments. Bashing others over comments and getting nasty is what really screwed it up, in my opinion.

Yes, I did go to film school.

I agree. Although unlike IMDb, I don't think it's beyond redemption. With the right tools it can be saved, letting this place go just feels like a waste.

Very sad.

Please Sign
https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petition-to-keep-the-imdb-messageboards-going

Did you start the petition? Thank you for trying!

Yes, I did go to film school.

I didn't, but I'm a strong advocate of it.

Two weeks left, but we never know. Maybe IMDb will release another bulletin instead of simply moving on after Feb 20th like nothing ever happened.

Why they're in such a rush to kill off these boards is anyone's guess.

Please Sign

A lot of people are gathering at the site below.

Share this link
http://imdb2.freeforums.net/">http://imdb2.freeforums.net/

I don't believe it's about money. I don't believe it's about "trolls". I don't believe it's about tech concerns. I believe they're just trying to herd people to facebook. I'm not on facebook. I don't want to be on facebook. They might as well just close down this whole site.

IMDB is dead to me now!
I will rarely access it.
I hope their traffic drops by 90%.

Reminds me of that song…The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. Same lamentable tune.

I don't believe it's about money. I don't believe it's about "trolls" I don't believe it's about tech concerns

I've read a few of the posts by IMDB CEO Col Needham and although he gives a few varying reasons and some conflicting points, from what I can gather it boils down to the message boards running on old tech that is slowing down the site and the implementation of newer tech and features. He sort of hints at having some type of message board or commenting system in the future but gives no specifics. Anyway, I think it's a combination of all these factors. They consider the boards a mess but in overhauling the infrastructure, don't want to migrate a problem and so are just blowing it up and starting from scratch with a system that gives them more control.

I don't even care anymore. It's going to suck, whatever replacement idea they come up with, but it is what it is. Change is inevitable, for good and bad. I can't control it so all I can do is deal with it.

I can't control it so all I can do is deal with it.
It's the best any of us can do and the healthiest mindset to have.

What the fck!!!

IBM2.freeforums.net is great! General Film is like the IMDB message board.

Now that they'll have a lot less traffic, they'll probably raise their rates even higher.

http://www.cgonzales.net">http://www.cgonzales.net & http://www.drxcreatures.com">http://www.drxcreatures.com

With less than a week left to the IMDB boards, I was wondering if anyone was working on assembling some kind of archives with the existing conversations on the boards. There's so many films I have not seen and I don't know which one will push me to know more about the film and to talk about it. I understand this is not an easy task, but I would suppose with today's ressources it was possible to save the board archives for most of the film here…

Thanks. I still don't understand the logic behind this decision, trolls are everywhere it's no reason to shut down a huge community IMO.

Wish there was something like that. Wish IMDB would stay open!!!!!