Goodfellas : In the How Am I Funny scene with Henry who thinks Tommy wasnt faking?

In the How Am I Funny scene with Henry who thinks Tommy wasnt faking?

That scene early on in the restaurant where Henry makes a joke about Tommy and how he is a funny guy after he makes a funny comment, then Tommy turns all nasty and mean and says "How Am I Funny?" and does his whole angry rant to Henry in front of everyone and scares the hell out of Henry.

Tommy eventually breaks character and drops the threatening act and calms down with a laugh "I had you!" and he smiles and stares at Henry for a second and resumes their conversation, who thinks that Tommy was not faking his anger here and that he was really angry at Henry for making that joke and almost making him look bad?

But because Tommy had known Henry for years and was his best friend and partner in crime he didnt want to hurt or humiliate Henry and had to swallow his anger and let the funny guy joke die down and blow everything off because you dont hurt your friends over a stupid joke and Henry was clueless and didnt mean anything by it, which explains his fear and backing down from Tommy.

Thats how i always look at this scene, that Tommy is angry at Henry for being a big mouth and talking foolishly to him in front of everyone, so he intimidates Henry and gets pissed off and then backs down at the last minute, making Henry think that he is not angry at all, when he is furious and wants to kick his ass, you dont beat up your gangster friends and Jimmy would flip out if Henry got straightened out with fists by Tommy.

Frankine and the other guys in the crew might get their asses kicked for the funny guy joke but Tommy gives Henry a pass because he was his buddy and buddies can be stupid and piss you off and get away with it, unless it is over a woman or you bang their girlfriends.

Re: In the How Am I Funny scene with Henry who thinks Tommy wasnt faking

I've always thought that but from a personal bias. Not saying I've known any gangsters or people that'd kill me, but I've known people that 'break character' only after they've got what they wanted which was a back down. And not in a 'aha I fooled you' way.

There was some show that made fun of these types that I'm drawing a blank on. But basically the goal isn't to 'joke' but to let the person/room know not to mess with you, then play it off as a joke because they've calmed down after getting the apology/emotion/etc. or whatever they were looking for.

I think Tommy was legitimately confused/agitated by Henry's initial comment then switched at some point. That's what makes a character like that so frightening, you don't know what it is that'll set him off.

----
I'd love to see you in the moonlight with your head thrown back and your body on fire.

l always felt that if Henry didn't explain himself immediately and if there weren't other people around,, e would've been dead. You could tell from Tommy's eyes that he was really pissed off at first.

I agree. Tommy seemed genuinely pissed and Henry seem genuinely freaked out and intimidated, as did all the other guys sitting around the table.

I think Tommy realised right at the end how he would look (and the fall out) if he didn't calm down. And he still got to intimidate Henry to 'save face' - The comment about him folding under pressure and asking one of the others if Henry was shaking. "Everyone knows how scared Henry is of me and i was just joking the whole time, haha!"

I'm not under the impression that Tommy was ever really angry at Henry.
I think that he was playing with him all along.

Let me know if I'm on your ignore list.
Thanx!

I don't think he was serious. They were friends and working together from an early age. As crazy as Tommy was, it'd take more than that for him to want to kill Henry.

LFC
NYK
U CANT C ME
10 YEARS STRONG

If he was really angry and was even thinking of hurting or killing Henry then he wouldn't have asked or given him a chance like that.
He would have either just gone ahead and done something right then and there or kept his mouth shut and gotten revenge later on.

Look at the assaults and kills Tommy does.
He never gives a warning. He just goes psycho and does it.

Like Billy Batts. He never takes it as a joke as he did with Henry.
Yeah, he goes away but not to calm down. To wait and get him later when Billy is alone.
He would have done the same thing with Henry.

Tommy is a psyco. He will act violent on an impulse at the drop of a hat and not give a damn of who he hurts or kills.

So the OP is wrong. If he was really angry with Henry, he would have done something to him.
He was messing around with Henry from the get go.

Humans are not the only species on earth.
We just act like it.