Goodfellas : Ohhhh….. Pauly ok'd Tommy getting whacked.

Ohhhh….. Pauly ok'd Tommy getting whacked.

I've seen this movie a million times but for some reason never paid attention to that. When Jimmy tells Henry that Pauly is having Tommy made, Pauly must've known that wasn't actually going to happen. Did Pauly worry about blowback from Jimmy or did he realize that Jimmy would just understand that that's the way it is?

Re: Ohhhh….. Pauly ok'd Tommy getting whacked.

As far as Paulie is concerned everybody from Jimmy on down is a grunt and just like the grunts (enlisted) in the military nobody is worrying about feelings. Jimmy of all people would know this and knows this is a part of doing business in the mob. Now I would guess that movie Jimmy was not aware that Tommy being made was going to be a rub out whereas the real Jimmy Burke probably had some idea so as not to have Tommy out of town when the hit was to take place. The real Paulie (Vario) no doubt had to be aware of the Gambino's intentions with Tommy regardless if the Gambino's did the hit or if it was left to Paulie to take care as we saw in the movie with Tuddy and Vinnie right there. As far as blowback goes there was not going to be any as Jimmy was flying much higher than he normally would be since he could not be made and therefore not be officially a capo. As I said in another thread here Jimmy working with Paulie was not a bad deal at all for Jimmy. Tommy was pretty much muscle and doubtful he could become a capo where could could begin to benefit Henry. Movie Jimmy probably was less than suspicious only in that being a brain is not a requirement to being made whereas being a brain is a major consideration to become a capo or higher. If I had to guess being made is more or less an honorary thing for 3/4 of guys who make it.

Yes. In this situation being made was just the hit set up for killing Billy Batts. Fooled them! Billy Batts was a made man, Tommy wasn't. But I believe Henry narrates this during this scene so it should have been self-explanatory. Paulie, being a Don, would have ordered this hit to square things with Billy's mob ties (Gambino family).

_
Every person that served can be called a veteran, but not every veteran can be called a Marine.

Good analysis. Thanks:)

Tommy was very much a loose cannon and someone you couldn't really trust to follow rules. He did so many stupid things that drew in unwanted attention. Killing Billy was Tommy's biggest mistake. He nailed his own coffin shut when he did that. As much as I'm sure Paulie liked Tommy, business was business. And the second Tommy started messing with Paulie's business, he was no longer safe. His problem was that he (Tommy) thought he was untouchable when he very much was not.

Pauly was "made" himself, right? So he knew Jimmy wouldn't dare try anything to him.