Goodfellas : question about Tommys moms meal

question about Tommys moms meal

When the guys went to the house to get the knife, it looked like they were eating macaroni and Italian bread. Don't know why the ketchup was on the table.

Re: question about Tommys moms meal

I noticed that the other day! It definitely looks like macaroni and bread in the basket. No clue what the ketchup was for. Maybe she made chicken cutlets?

Yeah maybe there were cutlets or they like ketchup on their pasta, lol

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I assume that Catherine cooked the meal herself, as she would often cook for the crew.

Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.

Scorsese said that he asked his mom what she would make for his friends and himself when they came home in the middle of the night. She said scrambled eggs and beans. (I think she must have meant white cannellini beans...I've never combined them, but there's some recipes on the Internet like that.)

So the ketchup is on the table because some people put ketchup on scrambles eggs (though I personally think that's kind of gross. Yuck!)

Funny how all the times I've seen that movie I missed that line. Gotta pay attention next time. My husband got me into ketchup on scrambled eggs. It's really good.

Funny how all the times I've seen that movie I missed that line.

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear....the movie character doesn't say it, it was either Martin Scorsese or Catherine Scorsese who mentioned this detail in an interview.

I believe I read it in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Scorsese-Journey-Mary-Kelly/dp/1560250445/ref=sr_1_18?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1427498870&sr=1-18&keywords=martin+scorsese

It's broken down into different films (through The Last Temptation of Christ) (?), and there are interviews with not just the director, but many people who worked on the various films (casting directors, performers, designers etc.)

From Publishers Weekly
This collage of interview transcripts provides an unrivaled behind-the-scenes peek at each of the famed director's movies. Organized chronologically by film, it consists mainly of clubby chitchat by Robert DeNiro, Paul Newman, Willem Dafoe, Joe Pesci, Roseanna Arquette, Harvey Keitel, Hollywood execs, scriptwriters, the director himself, his parents and many others. Talking about her role in New York, New York , Liza Minelli declares, "I got my entire performance by looking at Marty's eyes." Readers seeking deeper insight into the forces that drove the shaper of Raging Bull , Taxi Driver and The Last Temptation of Christ will find this a frustrating pastiche, notwithstanding journalist/filmmaker Kelly's biographical profile discussing Scorsese's search for transcendence or his own comments on his Catholic upbringing and artistic aims. A sneak preview is given of Cape Fear , a remake of a 1962 film starring Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum, both of whom appear in new roles in Scorsese's update.

From Library Journal
Depicted in director Scorsese's films such as Mean Streets (1973), Taxi Driver (1976), The Last Temptation of Christ (1988), and GoodFellas (1991), are the religious and the profane, the highest and the lowest. These films are a reflection of Scorsese's life and career of self-proclaimed half-gangster/half-priest, which are examined in this fascinating documentary. Author Kelly uses mostly quotations from personal and professional associates (Robert DeNiro, Paul Newman, Liza Minnelli, Ellen Burstyn, etc.) to give insight into the creative vision of a complex and often controversial artist. This is a much fuller book on Scorsese than writer/filmmaker Kelly's Martin Scor sese: The First Decade (Thunder's Mouth, dist. by Publishers Group West, 1990). Contemporary moviegoers will be interested in this important and revealing portrait of not only an important American filmmaker, but the film industry itself.

Funny how the movie is on and I was listening very carefully but didn't hear it. Now I see your post, thanks.

Hey Jimmy, you want food with your ketchup?

In the book it's mentioned Jimmy put ketchup on everything. It's a nod to that.

She's a man, it's a sled, he's dead already.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

When I was living in an independent living center I actually once knew a girl that put ketchup not only on her scrambled eggs but on her Macaroni and on her mashed potatoes! I lived there with a whole bunch of people. Only her boyfriend and I would sit with her while she ate. Eventually because of how disgusting everyone thought it was else the people in charge told her she had to wait to til after everyone else ate if we had any of those 3 things for dinner.

"No officer! I swear!" Al, Toy Story 2

Scrambled eggs yes, it's really good but not macaroni and mashed potatoes.

"It's great but it's like lead, Boom"

Takes two to tumble it takes two to tango
Speak up don't mumble when you're in the combo

Watched it the other night (uncensored...yeah!!) on IFC and I'm pretty sure I saw a bowl of scrambled eggs on the table, family style. Ketchup on eggs is pretty much an Irish, or at least Irish-American, thing.

"No, I don't like to cook, but I have a chicken in the icebox, and you're eating it."

Once I ate breakfast with the waitresses and bartenders at a joint in NYC. They poured ketchup on scrambled and sunny-side-up eggs; hash browns, bangers (sausages) and baked beans. Only the oatmeal was left untouched, except for brown sugar.

May I bone your kipper, Mademoiselle?

Re: question about Tommys moms meal possible spoiler

I don't think Henry liked ketchup. Near the end of the movie he said, "I ordered some spaghetti with marinara sauce and I got egg noodles and ketchup."

At the end he was referring to the food he gets where he was sent to. It's funny how some places don't know good Italian food and I'm sure their sauce tastes like ketchup.

Leave it to De Niro's so-called "method acting" to make a meal out of ketchup.

People that eat eggs with Ketchup is a sign that they didn't grow up with a silver spoon in their mouths.

It's more like a sign that they like eggs with ketchup.

Nice try at TRYING to be witty. FROM MY EXPERIENCE, me and siblings would eat fried eggs sandwiches as an alternative for a full course meal. Now, based on your comment, it appears you know everyone's lifestyle in this country. So tell me. What state am I from, Ole Mystical one who knows all?

Never said I know it all. Never said that I know everyone's lifestyle in this country. Said that liking ketchup on eggs does not necessarily correlate with not having a silver spoon in the mouth.

It did my case. And, many other people that I know.

Okay.

Ketchup tastes pretty good on fried potatoes and good over the top of mac and cheese too.

Ketchup's good on lots of things. Steak, too.

Some people have said that it looks like fried eggplant instead of eggs. Regardless, Jimmy's ketchup bottle technique scores a 10 out of 10.

"Oh yeah, one more thing....where can I get a pizza?."