Batman Returns : Did anyone else like this one more than the 1st one?

Did anyone else like this one more than the 1st one?

Aside from the villain I enjoyed this one more than the original Batman.

Every movie I have ever seen http://www.imdb.com/list/ls058726467/

Re: Did anyone else like this one more than the 1st one?

Absolutely. I like Returns the best out of all the Batman movies. Including the Nolan's.

RIP Ultimate Warrior. You will be missed.

I'm gonna have to say I like the Nolan movies more but unlike a lot of people I don't think of them as like the trilogy God of movies. The thing I liked so much about Batman Returns though was that I really like Tim Burtons weird gothic style and he was really aloud to cut loose with this movie

Every movie I have ever seen. I'd like suggestions for other movies I should see http://www.imdb.com/list/ls058726467/

Batman Returns is my favorite Batman movie and the 1989 movie is my second favorite.

Batman Returns is my favorite Batman movie and the 1989 movie is my second favorite.
Ditto.

To me, Michael Keaton is Batman, Danny DeVito is the Penguin, Michelle Pfeiffer is Catwoman, and Tim Burton's Batmans are THE Batman movies. The rest of them only wish they were as good!

Please excuse typos/funny wording; I use speech-recognition that doesn't always recognize!

Agreed entirely.

Robin Williams RIP. Most recent movies seen: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 8/10 stars. Expendables 3

Yes. - Out of the first four live-action theatrical "Bat-Offerings", "Batman Returns" (1992) is my favorite. I like how it explores the Penguin's and Catwoman's scarred psyches. There was definitely a playful and offbeat nature to the whole film. Danny Elfman's score provides a wonderful and engaging narrative throughout the film. Love the finale. Dark and dismal with a hint of hope too. I was really disappointed that Tim Burton didn't get to do the follow-up, as I can only wonder which direction he would have taken it.

The first film, "Batman" (1989), has always been something of a letdown for me. I remember walking out of the movie theater on Monday, June 26th, 1989 (I couldn't get to seeing it any sooner) feeling that the movie was amiss. For a 126 minute film called "Batman", the title character is barely in it. Batman makes four appearances in the picture. The first three appearances are brief cameos (1. Beating up rooftop thugs ; 2. Axis Chemicals sequence with Jack Napier -and- 3. Rescuing Vicki Vale). His fourth appearance consisted of Batman flying in the Batwing around the skies of Gotham numerous times before taking any action against the Smilex gas balloons. All that and the mid-section of the picture really seemed to drag on and on. Easily, one of the most over-rated movies of the last three decades.

I thought the follow-up "Batman Returns" (1989) did a nice job of getting me dialed into the world of Gotham City with intriguing characters and a great brooding atmosphere with brilliant cinema-photography. I felt this movie was infinitely more interesting and complex.

But hey, that's just me.

~ MC1
The reservist formerly known as JO2

The haters will say Batman was hardly in Returns neither.

Robin Williams RIP. Most recent movies seen: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 8/10 stars. Expendables 3

I liked this one more, there's so many layers to it. I love Batman and Catwoman's relationship in this and how they played off their duel identities. Penguin was mean and nasty in this yet I felt the film was successful in making you feel sorry for him in the end even though he was an evil bastard.

The characters are great. I like the gothic way they are portrayed whether or not it is faithful to the comics and the sympathetic way Penguin and Catwoman are portrayed as well. Even Max and Chip are sympathetic when they are willing to sacrifice themselves for the other.

Also the sets, the visuals, the costumes, the make up and the music are awe inspiring. Wayne Manor (outside and inside), the Batcave and the Batmobile are beautiful in their darkness. The gothic elements and the weirdness of this movie and the previous one fit Batman perfectly I think.

Christopher Walken is always a plus in my mind

Every movie I have ever seen. Recommend others http://www.imdb.com/list/ls058726467/

Oh, I love Christopher Walken.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I think that Returns has some more ambitious pieces and do find that admirable, but personally believe Batman '89 to be both better and more cohesive as a whole, as well as also just being more entertaining. Though naturally that is just in my own opinion.

It sure is, Indiana. I enjoy Batman immensely, of course. But, Batman Returns definitely takes the cake.

I think Batman '89 and Batman Returns are both pretty awesome and very entertaining. Batman Returns is my favorite by quite a bit though. It just seems like a movie that has a lot to say about humanity and the cruelty of the world. Batman '89 in my opinion is more of a traditional action movie about good versus evil. And there's nothing wrong with that. But in Batman Returns you have villains who, unlike the Joker, you can kind of feel sorry for. And Max has some redeeming characteristics because he's doing it all for his beloved son and is willing to risk his life for him. Batman Returns is a somewhat more intelligent movie. Not that Batman '89 is unintelligent. It isn't. But Batman Returns is so much deeper.

One of the things I do like better about this one than the original is that Catwoman is a far more interesting and entertaining character than Vicki Vale as a love interest for Batman. Overall though I find the first one to be better.

Its a close second. I still say '89 is the best one but Returns comes close.

I enjoy them both.

This is WAY better than the first one.

I relatively agree.

i liked both batman(89) and batman returns. but returns definately packs the bigger punch for me.

Me too.

Did anyone else like this one more than the 1st one?
Yes, by far.

I never really cared for Batman, but Batman Returns surprised me.

To me, an underrated film.

Wait a minute who am I here?

Nowadays it certainly is. Though it has a very good 7 rating on here.

Maybe not at the time of release because I was young and just thought it was another sweet Batman movie.

Years later, I have come to appreciate this one as the far superior of the two.

The first one is still a fun, good film, but Returns has so much more going on for it whereas 89 is just a classic good guy has to defeat bad guy scenario.

In Returns, nobody is good, and nobody is innocent. Feels even more noir.

In Returns, nobody is good, and nobody is innocent. Feels even more noir.
The Mayor, Alfred and Gordon are fairly sympathetic, although I guess the mayor is rather feckless/borderline incompetent, Alfred is facilitating a murderer and Gordon is pretty useless. I also wish the film had included the scene where the Ice Princess shoves a little old lady to the ground to be subsequently trampled during the attack on the Red Triangle Circus Gang attack on the tree-lighting ceremony thus proving she was not quite the 'innocent victim' the Gotham crowd probably believed her to be. What about the pre-defenestration Selina though? She had a repressed naughty side (she tazered the clown who assaulted her) but she was trying so hard to be a 'good girl'.

(Sighs) Anyway, classic movie. What murderer did Alfred facilitate, btw?

Batman is a murderer. Alfred facilitates him. smile.gif

PS: Why the 'sigh'? giveup.gif

You can't murder a bad guy. They're bad. They do not deserve to live. You act as though he was going around slaughtering innocents.

I see where you are both coming from but in my opinion Batman is no more a murderer than a Soldier or Police Officer that has to take down their enemies for the greater good.

I love Batman and Batman Returns the same. They are by far my favourite live action Batman movies but Batman Returns is easily the most re-watchable for me.
I might even go as far as to say that overall I think that Batman might be the better movie but I have to be in a certain mood to watch it. I could put Batman Returns on any day and have a great time watching it.

Batman killing people doesn't bother me in any movie as long as it's just bad people he's killing. Batman's a dark character in my eyes.

Also, it's very easy for me to just ignore the killing scenes since they only take up a few seconds total.

Do you agree with the poster that commented that none of the characters in the film are 'innocent'? Or do you think Batman was innocent?

Batman is a murderer. He's a murderer who means well and we sympathize with him because he's only killing bad people, saves the children, the city and the day. But he's not innocent. He's in a grey area at best.

I don't even think Alfred is innocent because of the reason you cited. I already thought that though. Gordon isn't innocent either because he supports and encourages Batman. In real life Gordon would probably lose his job and go to prison. And the police would never stop chasing Batman. The mayor isn't innocent either because he, like Gordon, supports and encourages Batman. In real life he'd probably be thrown out of office and into a prison cell. None of this is a criticism of the Batman mythos though. It's just a fun fantasy to me.

I don't thing batman is a murderer. That does a disservice to him and all he does. Michael Myers is a murderer. Freddy Krueger is a murderer. To use real life examples, Ted Bundy is a murderer. Terrorists are murdering people right this very minute. To put batman on the same level as them, is ignorant. He offs bad guys who given the chance would murder innocent people. Nothing wrong with killing bad guys .

Yeah i enjoy it alot more actually.. i feel it is more entertaining, smarter in some ways and has more interesting relationships between all the main characters.

I think both movies in their own unique ways are enjoyable. They are very different films at their core. Batman is a more "Hollywood", glamorous type movie, but very entertaining nonetheless. But it definitely falls more into that "summer" movie type of genre. It's more faster-paced. Returns is deeper, more character-driven, psychological, and VERY disturbing. Not that Batman doesn't have it's disturbing moments, but even many of them have a dark humor about them. The disturbing moments in Returns, especially in the climax, are hardly humorous.

Depending on my mood, I could go with either being the better movie. It's really a GOOD thing that Burton made this sequel so tonally different from the original, so it doesn't seem like some kind of poor clone of the first one, as MOST sequels actually are! By going different, Burton has fashioned 2 unique films that just happen to both be about Batman.

Nice, Hnt.

Yep

I prefer Batman Returns to the 89 Batman, both are Good and the 89 at the time was just something else - Batman as he'd never been seen on screen.
But Returns is excellent, the casting, the gothic vibe. just a really great movie.

Walter Sobchak: Am I wrong?
The Dude: You're not wrong Walter. You're just an a**hole.

Agreed in spades.

I agree also, this is the best of the four Batman films that came before Nolan. Overall, Batman Returns is probably my third favorite behind The Dark Knight Rises and Batman Begins and on par with The Dark Knight.

Official Ranking

1. The Dark Knight Rises
2. Batman Begins
3. Batman Returns
4. The Dark Knight
5. Batman
6. Batman Forever
7. Batman & Robin

Haven't seen the Adam West flick

Batman Returns ranks as the best in the series of 80's/90's Batman films. I've always loved this film since my childhood when it was first released favouring it over 1989's Batman which I admit I also like a lot. To me it is one of the best sequels ever made.

I actually like that the villains in this film are not copying what came before it. A problem that subsequent films made such as Two Face being portrayed in Batman Forever as a Joker knock off. In fact nothing is just recycled from the first film ; it stands up as it's own movie. I love the fact that it's not just a re-run of the original as is the case with many sequels.

Other things that I appreciate about Batman Returns include the characters being so well layered. The Penguin is both sympathetic and hideous at the same time.

Also , I believe this is the movie which has the best 'love story' out of all the Batman movies. And yes I'm including the Nolan films too. The other love interests Vicki Vale , Chase Meridian and Julie Madison fail to match the Selina Kyle/Bruce Wayne/ Catwoman/ Batman romance displayed in Batman Returns. Of course Catwoman/ Selina Kyle is the much more interesting character and is far more than just the love interest in the film. Like some twisted Romeo and Juliet ; you do root for them to be together although it is impossible for that outcome to be achieved.

Another positive of the film is the humour. Many wrongly fail to recognise the comedy featured even if it is dark. The main characters all feature humour in their characteristics making them more multi-faceted.

The film has a wonderful screenplay with fantastic quotable dialogue. Also the visuals are outstanding. The acting is excellent with all the performers inhabiting their roles perfectly. I think across the board everything works in this movie.

It's the best Batman movie ever made as far as I'm concerned.

YES!! It sucked that they did not do a continue of this film. Catwoman was his rightful partner.

YES!! It sucked that they did not do a continue of this film. Catwoman was his rightful partner.

My favirote line "shut up you're going to jail" when Batman pushes Shreck aside.

You actually mentioned Julie in this ? she has like what two scenes in that film ?

I never used to, but these days I prefer Returns. For me, Burton's films are the best renditions of Batman on screen. But Returns takes the cake because its themes of celebrity, grief, and loneliness combine so well with the bold production design and the inventive setpieces. And it's funny; damned, darkly funny.

www.fosk.weebly.com
www.rocknreelreviews.com/reviewed_by/rupert

Batman Returns was my favorite because of Catwoman.

She was a huge part.

She was a huge part.