The Powerpuff Girls : What happened?

What happened?

I may have asked this before, but I haven't been on for a long while, but what the heck happened with this show??? One day it was all over the place, merchandise included, and then I blinked and it was gone. I got the boxed set and it makes me miss it even more! How did it go south so quickly?

Re: What happened?

Because Cartoon Network turned to crap and doesnt really show cartoons anymore. They brought Dexter's Lab and PPG back last year but it doesnt make up for the fact that the channel now blows. And Craig MacCraken doesnt work for Cartoon Network anymore because the channel starting doing live action so he quit.

Keeping Demi Lovato in my prayers

I kind of figured it was something like that. I noticed there were a lot of different people working on it from the dvds...and the longer episodes were kind of...well, boring. And yes, I agree CN is bad. Very bad. I think "adult" cartoons like PPG and DL were way ahead of their time and paved the way for this new stuff, which to me looks like fart jokes in animation. Oh well. Sigh. At least I have my dvds. And Hot Topic to thank for some tshirts :).

I kind of figured it was something like that. I noticed there were a lot of different people working on it from the dvds...and the longer episodes were kind of...well, boring. And yes, I agree CN is bad. Very bad. I think "adult" cartoons like PPG and DL were way ahead of their time and paved the way for this new stuff, which to me looks like fart jokes in animation. Oh well. Sigh. At least I have my dvds. And Hot Topic to thank for some tshirts :).

That must've been seasons 5-6 that you're referring too. Those seasons had different people working on it because around the fall of 2002 Cartoon Network had wanted Craig McCracken to create a brand new cartoon series for the network (while at the same time the network had also still wanted "The Powerpuff Girls" series to continue on with new episodes as well). So Craig McCracken and half of his crew had worked on the production of creating the "Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends" cartoon series, while the other half of his crew and a whole bunch of new people were working on seasons 5-6 of "The Powerpuff Girls" series. The absence of Craig's influence on the series was greatly felt as the quality of those last 2 seasons had really suffered.

And yes CN has gone down the toilet over the years too; case-in-point: CN Real. I don't know WTF? they were thinking when they decided to put live-action movies & shows on Cartoon Network. odd.gif

The internet is a coward's paradise

I think the long hiatus between season 4 and the movie was what had ultimately hurt the show. You see Cartoon Network used to air new episodes of "The Powerpuff Girls", from season-to-season without a break, very regularly (like a new episode (or more) every month); then by April 2001 the first season 4 episode had aired. The plan was originally to continue to air new episodes every month as usually scheduled, but Craig had developed a new plan of strategy. Since Warner Brothers had greenlighted for a Powerpuff Girls movie, and Craig and his crew were working hard every day & night on the movie he & Cartoon Network decided to hold off on airing the rest of season 4 for the remainder of 2001 UNTIL the movie had came out the following year.

No new episodes of "The Powerpuff Girls" were on the air from April 2001 - June 2002, and that was the reason for what you had said "and then I blinked and it was gone". Although I understand where Craig was coming from when he had developed that strategy (a.k.a. don't air anymore new episodes of "The Powerpuff Girls" until the summer of 2002 in promotion of the movie), I still say that he should've struck while the iron was still hot and just let Cartoon Network air the rest of season 4 in 2001 while the show was still hot, popular, & in it's prime. I don't even think the strategy had worked all that well because if I remember correctly, I think that one of the reason why "The Powerpuff Girls Movie" had bombed so badly at the box office was because of ironically it being due to a lack of promotion on Warner Bros.' part.

So after a year's hiatus "The Powerpuff Girls" had came back in 2002 with a movie and new episodes, but it's popularity wasn't the same as it was in it's prime from November 1998 - April 2001. And don't even get me started on seasons 5-6! uhoh.gif Those seasons had completely killed the show altogether IMHO.

The internet is a coward's paradise

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I think a lot of the same people worked on both shows. Not entirely sure, but I know that GT is working on something new..yay!