The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim : Voice actors..

Voice actors..

I've seen the abuse heaped on other users who've criticised the limited number of voice actors in Skyrim -- and true, maybe they had less to spend after hiring some famous/high quality ones. But it's not so much that many NPCs have an archetypal voice, generally based on their race: it's the fact that some important characters in quests have them.

To name a few, the Forsworn King; Mercer and his predecessor; some of the Daedric gods; the Butcher of Windhelm; the spirits of Pelagius and Potema; the spirits of famous Nords in Sovngarde -- often, it ends up sucking the mystique out of some of the quests. It makes some quite important secondary characters sound like actors from those companies that come to schools to put those crummy shows on when you're a kid. It's a real shame because it becomes difficult to take the characters seriously.

For example, you have all this brilliant mystique and tension built around the Forsworn King -- then, when you finally meet him, it just turns out that he's voiced by that same bloke who voices most male Bretons, Mercer, Pelagius, etc etc.

Get my point?

Re: Voice actors..

No. This is imdb, 3 pages away you can COUNT the number of voice actors used. It's plenty for a game this size. True, they could have utilized digital enhancement a little more to create a different sound for some of the actors who had more than one part... but if you have to look that hard to find fault, you are just a hater who was looking specifically for fault and was going to be pleased at nothing.

"Who built this f#(%!^g police station." -- Leon Kennedy

Yes I hate this game -- every hour of the dozens I've invested in it.

If you get so angry about someone criticising one thing they didn't like in a game you liked, I'd hate to see your reaction when someone points out the size of your tiny penis.

Oh I'm sorry. Did that sound angry? I was going for the disinterested distain that one usually has for the pathetic troll hater who doesn't want to come off as what he truly is, lest his idiotic mewlings get ignored for the trash they are.

I'll try and be more specific next time for clarity.

It's a shame that you're unable to engage in a rational debate about a piece of pop culture without disdaining your opponent for simply holding the opposite view. Some words of advice: don't enter politics or a relationship.

I do fine in both, thanks. I've been abrasive, sorry. But you expect RATIONAL debate... about tired and proven wrong "view" that is only ever brought up by trolls trying to stir up hate against ES and Bethesda? Yeah, I act pretty abrasive. It's no different than the idiots who wander IMDB finding a board and just posting that "IT SUX, IF U LIKE IT UR LOSER."

In this particular case, it's not (as you just assume) that it's the opposite view that's my problem. I distain the argument because it's not a rational criticism. 3 clicks away you can COUNT the number of voice actors credited in the game. FAR more folks contributed (almost 70) than you will find in 95% of movies or video games.

So, how many people can you justify paying to do voice acting. Where's the cutoff? Is it 1-1, 1 actor for every character voiced in the game? Because that's unrealistic and childish to expect. So where do you cut it off? 70 isn't enough... but what say, 125 is OK? You can't just make up some random number and say "this would have been acceptable" it would be totally arbitrary. All you can base it on is competition... and I'd say 95% (easily more) of games do not employ that many voice actors. 95%, that's not just a pass... it's an A. ARGUEMENT PROVEN WRONG on this very website just 3 clicks away. That's why the scorn is heaped, the only people banging on about number of voice actors are just hating... that's the whole agenda. "Oh what, they run out of money?" Dumb when you consider the number of people who lent voice to the game.

As rational as you try to put a face on it, it's no better an argument than the guy with the "SHOULD'VE USED MOAR THAN 5 VOICES DURRR" thread. Thanks for trolling, at least that guy was honest about it instead of acting all indignant when getting called out on it.

I see your point, but three clicks away and you can see that several of the same actors have numerous roles associated with them. I don't believe what I am arguing is trolling because I do think it's possible to draw a line. Every recurring character in the game (plus the Daedric gods) should at least sound significantly different from the average NPC you bump into through the world. Your suggestion to digitise the voices is a good idea.

I accept that this is actually a minor gripe, since most of the recurring characters do have their own voice actors -- but for that reason it's quite an atmosphere spoiler when you hear the same generic voice for an important character in a major quest (e.g. Mercer of the Thieves' Guild, Madanach in Markath, etc).

Also, you're right, I'm sure Bethesda did hire more voice actors than 95% of other companies for other games, but it's relative since Skyrim is such a huge world, with hundreds of characters.

Ok so your main problem is not that there isn't enough voice-over actors within the game but that the ones that are within the game, that have important characters to voice aren't modifying their voices enough to make each important character unique enough for your tastes? Seriously?
So blame each voice actor for not changing their voice enough, not an entire game and the companies that made it.
Ruins your whole point if you had one to begin with.
Also saying something about having a rational argument/debate/conversation when just your previous comment states something about one's penis size? I mean your credibility if you again had any is trashed.

I don't know why it's thought that I'm blaming the entire game -- I'm not. As I've repeated several times, I love the game. My point is that there is sloppiness on the part of the voice actors and creative directors for not going far enough in defining some of the important characters.

Fair point on the rationality issue. But it's not like posters voicing annoyance over issues they have with certain aspects of a game are treated as if they have any credibility anyway.

Well, maybe that is the solution then... just do a little better sound editing.

It's not as if I don't have gripes about Skyrim too... but my problems are also kind of rooted in just the state of videogame production in general. Specifically how devs these days treat the first few months of play like what used to be called the playtesting phase. Before patches and updates were easy to distribute a game had to be bug free at release or gamers would not stand for it. Now we just kind of accept it, and I really would like to have the old development cycle back.

But as far as voice actors go, I really sympathize with the devs. I have a friend in the actors guild. He says the voice actors, like other actors, get their tiered standard fee no matter how big the part or how many lines they have. He says for most of those credited scale is minimum... but that's still a fairly large chunk of cash to just hand them one or two lines. I spoke with him about it the other day, and he seemed to think that 70 voice actors would be a significant expense even for a AAA title budget like Skyrim, so unlike the bugs I guess for me they get points for effort in voice.

Sorry so jerk, its too hot here in the midwest. Your "Sunshine" take was dead on I think, and it may have seemed like trolling to those fans. So I was wrong to just assume so.

Very interesting point re. the voice actors -- it sounds like they need to overhaul the system in general, as you say.

No worries, likewise apologies for lacing my initial replies to you with insults.

Look at it this way, it could be like Oblivion, where EVERY character of any race was voiced by one person with the exception of maybe a handful of characters? At least in this one there are more than one Nord-type. Could you imagine if the entire game was filled with the Raolf voice? Or the AH-NOLD one?

((Granted, I haven't been around the Imperials much in my game yet, but I have only heard the Gideon Emery Fenris voice once at the beginning.))

I will complain that they didn't use Gideon Emery or Jason Marsden enough, IMO.

www.videoactiongirl.tumblr.com

It's a minor point, but it's still noticable. To me, the most recognizable of these "often-used" actors (looked up his name on here but forgot it again) is the one who sounds a bit like James Woods. This guy must've been very busy in the recording-booth, since he appears on so many smaller and bigger characters in the game.

Does that make Skyrim a bad game? Yeah... right... :D

S.

The guy that voices Mercer was WAY too common. He was almost every single merchant for goodness' sake.

www.videoactiongirl.tumblr.com

I can forgive the repeated voice actors but... not the one doing the most horrible Schwarzenegger impression I've ever heard. Ugh *shudder*

That's a common complaint about the Elders Scrolls series. At least for Morrowind onward. Morrowind was my introduction to the series, so not sure if the previous titles were voiced. Anyway, Skyrim is a big improvement over Oblivion. As another poster said, every character of the same race/gender had the same voice. Every male Imperial sounded the same, every female Dumer sounded the same (every female elf sounded the same actually) and so on.
It would be nice for each character to have a distinct voice. I imagine it's more than a financial hurdle that stops this. Probably a programming one as well.

Close only counts with horseshoes, hand grenades, and thermo-nuclear weapons.

Probably a programming one as well.

I don't think so. For unique characters, they have to record and include unique lines of dialogue anyway, so from a technical POV, it wouldn't make a difference *who* actually spoke those lines.

My guess is that it's mainly due to financial and time issues. It's much more economical both in terms of $$s and in terms of time to have a limited number of actors in the recording studio reading multiple roles.

That said: I'm still pretty sure that a lot of time and money went into "voice-production" of Skyrim. I switched my German version of the game to English (thank God for that Steam-option) and when I did, Steam downloaded around 5,5 Gigs of data. Now that's a lot of soundfiles.

And I don't even want to knock the abilities of the actors involved. Most do a pretty good job of doing multiple voices/characters. But unlike a TV-show, in a game like this, we're constantly listening to dialogue. So after a while it becomes fairly obvious which actor is doing whose lines - especially with generic characters with limited dialogue like the city guards.

S.

belethor is the best voiced vendor of all

I think Dirge from the theives guild has the best voice. "I'm the last thing you hear brfore they put you in the ground"

Remember...There might be some momentary discomfort

Getting Max Von Sydow or Sean Bean, or Patrick Stewart is quite an accomplishment.

I agree, that is a big accomplishment.

<“Every man of courage is a man of his word.” - Pierre Corneille>

Isn't it, though? Right up there with driving a truck when you're hammered! 😘