Independence Day : Why are people calling this ID4?

Why are people calling this ID4?

It's never been called that. It's "Independence Day". If anything, it's "ID". Why are we tacking on a 4? Because of July the 4th? That's cute, but that's not the name of the movie.

Should we call A Christmas Story "AC25S"?

Should we call Halloween "H31"?

Re: Why are people calling this ID4?

Because Independence Day is July 4 so it is ID4.

That doesn't make sense. The movie is called Independence Day. If the movie was called "Independence Day, July the 4th" I would understand. It's ridiculous.

It was known as ID4 in all the marketing when it was first released. Doesn't make it any less ridiculous but that's the reason.

^^ This.

I believe ID4 was on the movie posters at the time. Also, this movie came out near the beginning of using such cutesy titles. MIB, Mi:-2, H2 - you get the idea.

It's always been known as ID4, I remember them using it on promotional material back in '96 when I was 10. I've always called it Independence Day when talking with people about it, but if I saw ID4 in media prints/social media I know they'd be talking about Independence Day.

It's been stylized in this manner since promotion for it started back in 96. It's better explained in the Trivia section.

As many others indicated, it started with the Marketing Dept. They never make sense; they don't have to, it's not in their job description. Successfully selling the product is.

Past that, it hit when AOL was new; there was no unlimited membership; modems were strictly dial-up for nearly all, there was no broadband in homes, few flat-rated phone plans, either. Many of us who were online-addicted spent hundreds of dollars each month being online. So most of the folks online chatting in forums were cost-conscious and used lots of shorthand in chats & messaging. ID alone would need too much context; ID4 meant only one thing. It caught on very, very fast.

ID4 is actually part of the movie's logo. Its on every dvd/bluray/4k boxart

According to the trivia section, ID4 was the working title of this movie until Fox could secure the rights to use the title Independence Day.

Yes when the movie came out it was called ID4. I had toys with the ID4 logo on them. It was there from the very beginning

You're move, creep