DragonHeart : This movie is God Awful

This movie is God Awful

I just saw this movie for the first time last night and I must admit, even I found it hard to sit through the whole thing. The acting is, to put it mildly, awful. The effects were just plain funny. I especially love the blood in the sand. It looked like pepto bismol or something. And the little ride Bowen took through the trees, they might have just as well showed you the zip line. Anyway, short of Sean Connery's voice acting, this film may be the single worst film, short of anything directed by Uwe Boll, that I have ever seen.

Re: This movie is God Awful

Well, to be fairly honest, I loved this movie.
But I can of course respect your opinion :)

Personally I loved this movie, because of the humour, and the sort-of tragedy in the end.
And you have to admit, the story is touching :-)

To the stars, Bowen! To the stars!

Here here. I loved it too, even though the effects and costumes are pretty funny and when thinking of this film I get a bit embarassed for liking it. But I can scarely remember 1996. Considering the leap effects and action have taken from them, it was probably good for that time. Even the special effects in Harry Potter have come a long way from 2001.

I mostly just like this movie because of the beautiful music. I also love how there are three HP actors (David Thewlis, Jason Isaacs, Julie Christie), a character named "Lord Felton" (like Tom Felton), a dragon named "Draco" (Malfoy), and of course, David Thewlis. *sigh* *bangs head* So WRONG! Well... yes, with that wig. But in other films... *sighs again*

I'm a Thewlisian. Ask me how.

JAMES567, you have NO taste in movies. :K
The effects were, like... AWESOME. I just... just... NO. I can't even look at you. >_>

The Actual Dclary25: .... you just made an enemy. That was my friend. Not me. and.. might i add..

PSYCHO!! THE MOVIE ROCKED!! I LOVE DRAGONS WITH IRISH/SCOTTISH ACCENTS!!

Friend: May I suggest moving? Because i'll be after you...

Dclary25: ... empty threats my freind...

Don't get slimed!

*gets slimed*

Too late!

fraeking hell, you pompous git, this movie was made in 1996. we've had major technological improvements by now, stop being so goddamn cynical! ppl watch this movie for escapism, you're just messing with the beauty of it.

*sigh* sorry, didnt mean to be a you-know-what. just very emo, and i love this movie...watched it when i was six, and...yeah. just...such a beautiful movie. for me, i mean.

we can unmake you.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Japanese? What are you talking about?

perhaps you have the wrong movie.

Only godawful thing about this was Dina Meyer, who couldn't act her way out of a paper dragon.

Post deleted

I thought it was a fairly decent film. 7.5/10

hmmm...co-founder of the hmm threadroyal.gif
RIP

The acting was wonderful and the effects surpassed by expectations for the time (1996)

I realise that not everyone might appreciate the genre, but to state that this movie, as you so kindly put it, is "god awful" simply uncovers the fact that you sir, are a brainwashed idiot that wouldn't recognize a decent movie if it smashed straight into you.

The movie has alot to offer- From an amazing and amusing storyline, an impressive cast and acting to great special effects, it has something to offer to anyone.

8.5/10

you can't criticize the movie too much, it was made in 1996, but even that doesnt matter, i thought the effects were very well done, i honestly thought that Draco was excellent, even as good, or better, as some movies that were put out 2day

and the acting...i think every actor portrayed their role very successfully, adding humor where it needed 2 b, and setting a serious tone without gettin too serious

honestly this has to be one of my favorite movies, not because of all the effects or the acting, but because of the message it sends to me, everyone has their own beliefs though

I will admit the acting can be a little bad at times but the story line is still very clever and amazing. The end was a true masterpiece and the musical score and visual effects deserved Oscars. I thought Denis Quad was not a good choice for Bowen but Sean Connery as Draco makes up for 200%. I think if people do not enjoy this movie, they let there inner child die many years ago.

My wife loves this movie, and I hate it. I love a good fantasy movie, but will watch a bad one if it's fun. But Dragonheart, unfortunately, is a bad fantasy film dressed up with top-name actors and expensive special effects.

I have no idea what happend to Dennis Quaid in this movie. The man is an excellent actor, but he stumbled woodenly through his lines like he was on heavy pharmaceuticals. And, although his accent was decent, the fake bass voice he was doing sounded horribly fake. I think that might be the cause of his wooden acting, actually.

The lines were hackneyed. Were this purely a kids' film, I could accept that. But the dialogue was cheesy, and this was touted towards adults and children. And, on a personal note, I am getting kind of tired of the damsel-turns-ruffian type of character. I'm not sexist, and can appreciate a strong female lead, but this aspect of the film, along with the storyline and dialogue, was too cookie-cutter and predictable to be enjoyed.

I personally thought the effects were well-executed, except for Draco's mouth. Everything else about the dragon's movements and expressions was so well-done, but his mouth looked like something from bad anime (which is rather redundant). I didn't post this as a "This movie sux" type of response, but to explain to fans of the film why others didn't like it. If you enjoy it, then go ahead and watch. But I can't.

gonemad.gif"Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change."gonemad.gif

I thought this was a pretty good movie for 1996. I'm 17 now, but I still watch it whenever it's on TV. And I still get teary-eyed when it comes to the ending, lol.

What's wrong with Draco's mouth? I think it was ok..

And the score! It was so beautiful. Especially the one where Draco dies... *sniff sniff*

*Sigh*

Okay, WHO left the troll bait sitting out?

Clicking on the main page "Quotes..more" you see how CAMPY this film is happy to be. I think the UNIQUE aspect here is using GREAT EFFECTS & the 2 heroes with a GREAT MORAL plus with CAMPY dialogue as comic relief !

The movie was beautiful. I recently bought it and I loved it. I feel ashamed at myself for thinking it was going to be another lame movie about Dragonslaying (I'm seriously getting tired of the dragons being the bad guys), but when I watched it, it changed my heart. Connery took that bit of CGI dragon and gave it life, so in the end, when Draco died, you felt like you were losing someone you had known forever. The music that is the theme is called "To the Stars" if anyone is interested. I think the entire song is played at the end when Draco dies. *sniff* Why do all dragon movies end with them all extinct or dead?! Why?!! *SOBS*

Anyway, the special effects were great, even now with the new stuff out, Draco still looks almost real. Now Dragonheart 2 on the other hand... I cannot even call that a sequel! Most sequels are pretty bad, but DH2 takes the cake for worst sequel in the world! It was the cheapest most low budget film I ave ever seen. You don't even have to look hard to find the bad acting or see that half the time the sky is fake.

YOur right this is the worst movie I have ever seen the acting is very amateurish and is only suitable for six year olds

Post deleted

Post deleted

i have watched this movie heaps of time, one of the best dragon movies there is, i loved it 9/10, i rekon its bloody excellent computer graphics for 1996

The only thing i didnt like about this movie, well it was more of a "i find this humorous" than a "I dont like this because". Was the lack of blood during the big fight scenes. When you stick a sword in someones gut or an axe in someones back, there will be blood on the blade when it comes out. I realize its a PG-13 movie so i dont expect to see "Braveheart" type gore but at least make the blades a little red when they pull them out of someone. Everytime i watch this movie i get a big laugh out of those scenes because they overlooked that aspect of realism.

The Truth

The body of this film is fantastic. While others say that Dennis Quaid is wooden (I'm not a big fan) he at least captured something honest in the role. The animation in this film is second to none. If you look at the amount of detail in Draco, from the dolly shots on his scales, the close-ups and even the mouth, you can only be amazed. This was unprecedented for it's time. While there are scenes that are painful to watch. The prince for example is portrayed as a foppish cliche. There are geniune achievemnets. I think most people take for granted the amount of effort it took to create realistic enviroments. They've done it in spades. The premise is lost amongst the usual hollywood drivel, but the story holds true. This movie is an achievement, it's downfall is it's only half made.

Obviously you've watched Dragonheart through a blindfold.

Draco was friggin believable! If there was a award for best animation of a mythological character Dragonheart would take it no matter how far CG's come over the years. Personally I want to track down every Draco animator and glomp them.

And the "ride through the trees" is possibly the funniest sequence I've seen in the past ten years so who gives a *beep* if you can see the zip line?

"That should have ignited the fires of Hell."- Grant Wilson, Ghost Hunters

lets not get carried away, it`s not that bad. i can look past the bad cgi , i imagine myself what it would look like if it had a bigger budget. the story could be better i agree. but all in all it is a enjoyable movie.

I liked it.

You're God Awful james567, you need to get a life, This movie kicked ass.

I thought that this movie was great. It's one of my favorites, but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion and to be honest the graphics in this movie is better than someone of the graphics you see nowadays.

well, i'll respect your opinion, but i loved this movie. it was great. especially Sean Connery's voice.

Hey man, the CGI is better than in some contemporary movies, let's just face facts. And if you remember, this movie was made over ten years ago. And the reason the blood was pink was because it was getting diluted by the milk it mixed with and surface blood is a lighter color than deep blood anyway, and I loved the cinematography of that shot. Okay, so it's not for all tastes (my dad, who hates anything that "took place forever ago" nearly jumped out a window when I asked for it on my birthday) but you can do much worse with sci-fi/fantasy movies and if you're a complete dragon geek like me, it's pretty darn good. I thought the acting was great, too, but I suppose that's a matter of opinion (but you can't deny David Thewlis is absolutely frightening).