William Friedkin : I think it's sad

I think it's sad

That someone who created two such unmitigated masterpieces so early in his career failed in the subsequent 4 decades to duplicate that success.

It should be against the law to use 'LOL'; unless you really did LOL!

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: I think it's sad

..5b4.created two such unmitigated masterpieces…
_______

What a creepily gushing, over-zealous, over-exaggerated and over-praised statement to make. Are you a close relative of Friedkins? The two films you would be referring to, were well filmed and intense and they could be considered classics of their genre; but I see them as nothing more, than very good films. THE LAST PICTURE SHOW, deserved best picture for 71', as far as I am concerned. Now, this film, could possibly rate as a masterpiece.

After making the ugly, irresponsible and confused CRUISING-80', he didn't deserve a decent career. And to think, his 'unmitigated masterpiece', BOYS IN THE BAND-70', was made early in his career, before he became overrated.

Post deleted

The Exorcist is quite possibly the greatest horror film ever made. Dare name one that can even compete. It is incredibly well acted, very atmospheric and very well directed.
________
According to you. Your opinions, as well as mine, are all subjective. I prefer, for the most part, raw visceral horror. I would also rate ROSEMARY'S BABY-68', THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE-74', HILLS HAVE EYES-77', SUSPIRIA-77', DAWN OF THE DEAD-78', HALLOWEEN-78', BASKET CASE-82 and THE THING-82', over THE EXORCIST-73'.

I haven't denied that EXORCIST or FRENCH CONNECTION, aren't landmark films and even commented that they are considered classics. Doesn't mean they have to be revered by everyone.

What the hell does a guy have to do to get some respect here?
________
He 'deservedly' lost it, after unleashing his 'misguided' and 'repellent' CRUISING-80', onto the movie going public.

Post deleted

I think The Exorcist has it's own version of raw visceral horror, the unknown;….
______
May have been visceral in parts; but 'raw', I'm not so sure. It wasn't working within the confines of a low budget and due to the talent involved, it needed\had to be good. Some of the films I listed, weren't low budget and 'raw', yet I prefer ROSEMARY'S BABY-68', to EXORCIST.

Post deleted

well, both have the same 'unknown' element to them
_______
Yes, that supernatural element, that poses the question, if there are devout beliefs, in the 'realness' of gods and angels, then the same must be said for devils\demons. EXORCIST, was serious intense and I think it was striving hard for effect, whereas ROSEMARY'S BABY, was more subtle and had an undercurrent of sardonic black humor, which was perfectly balanced with the horror elements. I don't find it as dated either.

I can laugh along 'with' ROSEMARY'S BABY, yet can find myself laughing 'at' THE EXORCIST, for the wrong reasons. It 'sensationalized' shock value, which was easily superseded. I also find the characters in RB, more intriguing and even relatable.

The Exorcist is actually quite a brilliant character study and human drama, much like Rosemary's Baby. But RB is really a psychological thriller, whereas Exorcist is straight up horror.

~ I'm a 21st century man and I don't wanna be here.

Post deleted

I liked Cruising. A lot. I think it's very misunderstood. It took me 3 viewings to finally understand what really was going on, which is more than most people watch it, I'm sure. It's not a very fun or pretty movie, but I think it's extremely interesting, both historically and for the way it was made (The killer is played by a different actor from scene to scene to subtly confuse us,,,brilliant!) Plus, I've never seen a more unsettling and frustratingly vague ending. I really liked it.

>>> I liked Cruising. A lot. I think it's very misunderstood. It took me 3 viewings to finally understand what really was going on, which is more than most people watch it, I'm sure. It's not a very fun or pretty movie, but I think it's extremely interesting, both historically and for the way it was made (The killer is played by a different actor from scene to scene to subtly confuse us,,,brilliant!) Plus, I've never seen a more unsettling and frustratingly vague ending. I really liked it.

Very good post. Agreed.

If a private venture fails it's closed down. If a government venture fails it's expanded. M Friedman

>>> What a creepily gushing, over-zealous, over-exaggerated and over-praised statement to make

Inappropriate reply. Blocked.

If a private venture fails it's closed down. If a government venture fails it's expanded. M Friedman
b68

You are either a troll or a dope who's spoiling for an argument while, of course, hiding behind a monitor.

What was "gushing" about the OP? I wish I'd stopped reading your idiotic posts after that near non-sequitur. It seems Friedkin must have not taken a selfie with you or something, so you now have a "reason" to discredit anything he has done (see, I can make schidt up too. It's easy!).

I would like to say that success is NOT always a good judge of quality.

My favorite Friedkin movie is Bug. From 2006. It got poor reviews, and didn't make money at the box office. But I know without a doubt it's one of the most brilliant and complex movies I have ever seen. I love it.

Just because a director like Friedkin can't mirror the success of directors like Scorsese or Spielberg does not mean that his work is lesser than others. I prefer Friedkin's work any day over the saccharine and generic films Spielberg puts out; I think Friedkin takes grittier, bigger risks, and challenges audiences by not spoon feeding us happily ever afters. That of course does not go over well with the majority of filmgoers, as proven with his spotty box office track record, but as long as there are people who appreciate and understand his work, I think it's more than validated.

"I would like to say that success is NOT always a good judge of quality."

Correct, just look at J.J. Abrams, very successful but a hack director and terrible writer. His junk starts off good but falls apart the longer it goes on.

He is a great director.
SORCERER and TO LIVE AND DIE IN LA are underrated masterpieces.

HUNTED, BUG and KILLER JOE are great films too.

Are you gonna bark all day little doggie? Or are you gonna bite?

I see no reason to be sad. His last two films were on par with his finest. The only thing that makes me sad is the fact that he has not yet made The Devil's Triangle. The world still needs a definitive UFO movie and Friedkin is uncompromising and good at elevating genres.

I agree. With all the hack directors and rotten flopfest films Hollywood is forcing on us these days they might yet become willing to allow a real director like Friedkin to make another film.

uh…he's BEEN making films.