Sliding Doors : Most annoying and obvious boom mics in a mainstream movie!

Most annoying and obvious boom mics in a mainstream movie!

I cannot remember another movie (besides cheap B-movies)
including that much, obvious and annoying visible boom mics
dangling in the frame. I counted six different scenes
with visible boom mics and especially in emotional scenes
this is not "just a goof" or a negligible factor
(like a car from 1995 when the movie is taking place in 1990),
this destroys the movie magic and the scene completely.

The cinematographer and director must have been blind,
stonend - or just indifferent? I don't understand why
no one of the filmmakers noticed and no one cared.

Re: Most annoying and obvious boom mics in a mainstream movie!

Did you watch it on TV?

Sometimes films are shot "taller" with the intention of being projected in widescreen format. In the theater, you wouldn't have seen the boom because it would have been basically cropped out. The director and cinematographer would be looking at the shots through a matte box with the cropping guides on it, knowing where the borders would be when projected.

Depending on how it was broadcast, or exported, or how your TV is set up, it's possible you could have gotten an uncropped view.

This could actually even happen in a theater if the projectionist isn't aware of what's going on. From a Roger Ebert article:

Many projectionists lack the skill or the equipment to properly frame movies in their original aspect ratios. This problem is more common than you might think. When you see a boom microphone dipping down from the top of the screen, especially more than one in the same picture, the odds are overwhelming that the fault lies not with the filmmakers, but with the projectionist right there in your theater, who is showing the film in the wrong aspect ratio and allowing you to see more than the intended visible picture area.

If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

Exactly what scomer said above.

You've obviously watched the "Fullscreen" Pan and scan version shown on TV. If you can get hold of a Widescreen version of the movie, guaranteed you won't see one of those mics through the whole movie.

I thought the same through years of watching fullscreen versions of movies on TV before DVD's came out- shower scenes where you can clearly see underwear being worn, mics at the top, etc etc. But widescreen versions hide all that- just as it's meant to be shown.

Open-matte, not pan-and-scan. The latter is named such because it "pans and scans" from one side of the widescreen image to the other. Open-matte is the full-frame picture before it is cropped to widescreen.

If you saw it in theater, it is entirely possible that projectionist used a wrong matte and ruined the framing. It happened before, many times. Heck, I know of a famous film which was butchered by a projectionist who decided to skip one reel to make the film shorter - every time!.

Oh.