American Beauty : Not a lot of people talk about this movie

Not a lot of people talk about this movie

I love this movie. It's in my top 5. But I don't meet a whole lot of people that have seen or even heard of it. Almost every time I mention The Matrix or Fight Club people know those. I guess because of how extreme they are compared to this which is my subtle. I didn't really grow up in the 90s so maybe it's a generation thing.

Re: Not a lot of people talk about this movie

I didn't really grow up in the 90s so maybe it's a generation thing.

---

The movie is about the big takeover of the "nuclear family" by the small f feminist movement in 1970, with MS B as the female who spanned that watershed [ie "where is the girl"]

Made in 1999 it simply showed "business as normal" 30 years later with few remembering "equality" actually existed prior to 1970, and seems nothing has changed that by 2016.

http://www.kindleflippages.com/ablog/

I'm not sure what the point of your post was but ok.

I was answering "I didn't really grow up in the 90s so maybe it's a generation thing" by saying it was NOT about the 90s as the situation Beauty wise was same in 1999 as in 1989 [and 1979 one might venture].

but change from 1969 to 1971 was huge.

http://www.kindleflippages.com/ablog/

I'm not sure what the point of your post was but ok.
The point, I think, is the film has not aged well. Glad you liked it. I LOVED it at the time and through multiple viewings, but, some years later, find it forgettable (I got to this page in a very roundabout way). Maybe you have to be a certain age AND mindset. Who knows! Yeah, it's got a bit of a plot twist, but it's not exciting like Fight Club :)

You are right. The Matrix and Fight Club contain very similar themes to American Beauty.

The Matrix and Fight Club cut through the fabric of societal norms, but they're also entertaining male-action-fantasy movies in their own right.

American Beauty just cuts, and cuts, and cuts with little escapism. And that's part of what makes it so great for what it's trying to accomplish.

"cut through th fabric of societal norms" = "Presents a pathetic, solipsistic escapist fantasy for Regressive types and brainless sociology majors who think the world operates according to their outdated relativist fantasies"

I watched it for the first time in at least 15 years - still a very good movie, but it does seem to have been forgotten about, perhaps it was just very much of its time. The cast - particularly Birch, Suvari and Bentley - never went on to their expected stardom either.

Because it's overrated, hackeneyed garbage that's been mostly forgotten about. Ditto Fight Club.

And yet it has an 8.4 rating and you're here talking about it. You mad, bro?