Match Game : Brett is terrible

Re: Brett is terrible

Try not to use retarded as an insult. it's ignorant and cruel. It also makes you sound jr high.

suzycreamcheese RIP Heath Ledger 1979-2008

She, along with Gene, Betty, CNR, and Richard made Match Game what it was.

Son, you got a panty on your head.

Count me in with the Brett lovers.
I loved all the regulars, they were such a big part of the show. And she's just so Brett! Not gonna make any apologies for that, cause I don't think they're needed.
And I tend to match her as much as anybody else on the panel except for Richard.

You match her the most? to paraphrase Chuck: you must be a very sick lady/guy.

Brett was good for the show and was a good sport being the butt of the joke.

Brett is the only reason why I watch the re-runs.

You can not even spell Jack Klugman's name correctly. You are in no position to call others stupid.

OK. I've been watching Match Game and she's really getting on my nerves. She thinks we care about the thought processes that get her to her answer, which means that her answer is going to be wrong. Can't she listen when the question is being read the first time? Why does she need special attention from Gene? And most of all that cackle. Why do they leave her mic on? You don't hear anyone else's conversations. I'm sure she was a very nice person, but really hard to watch and listen to.

If she's that bad, I wouldn't watch her. Look for those episodes before she became a regular.

I understand the reason why people dislike Brett, because I disliked her in the '70's as a teen watching these episodes. But once I watched the reruns on the GSN, I began to laugh at her jokes because I understand her jokes better now. And the way her and Charles play off of one another is just as funny as Dawson.

Brett also made an effort to fill in the dead air when other people where busy writing, thinking or just didn't like talking. I don't like awkward silence, and dead air on TV or radio was always a huge blunder. So she always helped the show. She was married to Jack Klugman, and he recommended his ex-wife to take his place. Good choice I'd say. Today we would hire at least three comedians and one comedian professional to host the show if it went back into production today.

Brett and Charles were great together and who didn't love Brett's 20 card answers.

Brett also worked with Gene, Betty and Fannie.

Yeah she sure is bad and Rayburn is an annoying dufus, Dawson chain smokes on the air, Nelson-Riley looks like a homeless guy ..oh and the contestants just stumbled out of K Mart onto the set. Please bury these tapes in a time capsule for a hunderd years so none of us have to admit we ever watched this dreck.

The more I watch the show, the more irritating she is becoming.

Well don't like to down anyone but never could figure out why she was on the show till I read about her husband. Not the first case of nepotism in show business for sure. I used to not like how she always made a big deal about anything she said or did - a reaction to being surrounded by real show biz folk - and yes I know she played in some tv shows as guests. Other than that she was a minor annoyance.

Well don't like to down anyone but never heard of her and could not figure out why she was on the show till I read about her husband. Not the first case of nepotism in show business for sure. I used to not like how she always made a big deal about anything she said or did - a reaction to being surrounded by real show biz folk - and yes I know she played in some tv shows as guests. Plus the running gag seemed to be she was a bit tipsy on the show.

The one time I wanted to kill Brett was when she reacted indignantly to the fact that on the Audience Match for BLANK "Jackson" the $500 answer was "Reggie" and I had to listen to her going on and on with a "Who the hell is that?" and upbraiding the audience. The ignorance of the panelists, even the male ones about sports in general was the one thing about the show that could really be infuriating, especially when I recall how it was just the opposite on the 50s NY panel shows like "What's My Line?" where even Arlene Francis and Dorothy Kilgallen knew who the famous ballplayers were (and you would have male panelists who were sports fanatics).

Yes, to say they were not sports fans is an understatement. I guess nothing is perfect. Brett made it very clear numerous times that she was against sports. It's funny to me how decades later, people can post such negative comments about the panelists or the show. This was a great, funny show that was light-hearted and not to be taken too seriously. I enjoy watching the reruns and basking in the awesomeness of the fashions, trends, panelists, and the funny questions. It's like going back in time in a wacky time machine.

I actually liked Bret. I think alot of times she tried too hard to be funny but she was the perfect antagonist for Charles especially. As far as her looks go I think age just caught up with her but I never would have called her ugly. She was actually quite pretty the first couple seasons in my opinion in a Mrs. Robinson kind of way. I certainly wouldn't kicked her out of a warm bed.

Did you see what Charles nelson Riley looked like? Why is it only women have to be eye candy?

She was a average looking middle aged woman, probably your mom looks worse or no better.

This was a game show, not a leading romantic lead.

I don't know if they had botox then but she didn't go dye her hair, put in fake boobs, and get a face lift, she was a human doing her thing. Not everyone wants to do that. She was a older lady.

And than you probably get mad she insulted the other ladies, but you insult her and I am sure other people, are you a 10? no.

Brett is terrible, indeed!

Brett is a challenge to enjoy for me.

… but I've learned to empathize because there indeed have been other celebs, always guests, who have too often come up with absurd answers including some very surprising names … Jimmy Walker (seemed smart to me), Patty Duke (seemed VERY smart given her great performances even as a teen), Avery Schreiber (again, how can a comedian be dumb?), Mama Cass (who, my gosh, seemed SUPER smart, "Being fat sets you apart, but luckily I was bright with it; I had an IQ of 165. I got into the habit of being independent, and the habit became a design for living.”), and lastly Loretta Swit, who sometimes matched a contestant's odd answer!, somewhat amazing!, who I certainly thought was quite brainy.

But hey, look, to be fair, there's only so many smart and funny people like Betty, Fannie and Charles … and Joann Whorly… and Peggy Cass… and Arlene Francis. I always wanted Valerie Harper on the show. So many more smart women on that show than men… oh yea, forgot Bill Cullen.

So I'm dumfounded about Brett.

Brett indeed said "Who is Reggie Jackson?" … which I was ok with because I certainly can't name many present day ball players myself and I like sports … I can't even tell you how many homers AROD hit but I sure know who he is … and even who Mark Fidrych is.

But when Brett said "Where is Egypt?" that bothered me … like a Jaywalking contestant who doesn't know a single state capital. I'm truly curious to know how a person chooses to become like that because I sure don't think it's IQ … because Brett DOES have some accomplishments.

Brett was Blanche, Oscar's wife, in the Odd Couple. Perfectly good performance. I just don't think a dumb person can be a good actor (but I do think a dumb person could be a fantastic painter or other creative endeavor).

Brett, like Gene, did lots of plays … local, dinner theatre and such. I easily see her in a Mrs. Robinson, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, kind of role.

Ironically, the smartest person there, Richard, also bothered me … what I saw was a person with far too much ego and in the later shows, when he was getting frustrated, perhaps exacerbated with being single and he didn't want to be, had a sour attitude on the show as he was ongoingly trying to get Goodson/Toddman to give him his own show, which from the start I thought he would be great at … and indeed he was on the Feud.

So in the end all I can conclude is that Brett is very confusing and if you're a person who tells me you like seeing someone give very bad answers, answers that sometimes aren't even in the REALM of being correct … like when the question infers sticking something into a body hole and she says "knee", well more power to ya I guess.

I simply rather see someone smart than not. The show isn't 'here are dumb people for you to laugh at' … it's smart people coming up with good answers to cleverly written innuendo questions.