Blue Velvet : Sick excuse for a film.

Sick excuse for a film.

Undoubtedly original, but still people liking to watch things like this must be more damaged than people who can't have enough of gore and blood-spatter.

Took me several years and a couple of fails with friends who couldn't stand it, before I came to finish it. Wish I hadn't.
Congratulations to you all who rate this one above a 7. Most of you are probably just insane. All actors overplay their characters except for the two mains. It's like watching clowns in a circus. Yet the mood is, well, too disturbing for a normal human to laugh. Of a high rated movie one expects at least descent acting.

A must see for villains who, like this screwed director, have a knack for the weird and morbid, but others should flush this down the toilet.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Sick excuse for a film.

Umm i am far from a criminal. This is a very dark film but very good. Your brain clearly isnt open enough for this type of film. This is a pretty acclaimed movie. Are all the critics who gave it positive reviews messed up in the head?

If they are messed up? Not sure. The Cuckoo Nest has a higher rating, but some people think they who voted for it are messed up. It's a masterpiece on my account.

I know I've enjoyed some dark films. But I've grown old. Expecting a lot of my older age. It seems I've softened. Don't know what that means. I just hoped it was for the better of me.

There are numerous films with the standard of this movie when it comes to several points, yet not very known.
Some of those unknown films have budgets like a 100 times lower than this one, and no well known actors, and still entertains by several aspects this doesn't.

I don't think its a mere occasion of private choice here. I suspect some spooky hype from the 80's, like say the "Easy Rider"-ghost of the 70's. The film isn't art. Not interesting as a time-travel into its time even. It has personal aspects. But those are better done nowadays even in the mirror of Titanic. Blue Velvet is mostly nonsense like a magazine-film today.

You obviously should not be watching anymore David Lynch films then.

I've watched most of them. His style intrigues. Just not so much with Blue Velvet though.

There are other directors who've easily exceeded David Lynch. I've yet to see the modern day Nolan's do a masterpiece for example, but they're in the game. David Lynch kind of repel people in his constructs. His stories look like thrash-novels with a ghostly mood. The later part is his hallmark. That decently craves for a fan club, but the man's not brilliant.

Compare the "ghostly" with also more modern Night Shyamalan, within respect, his "The Sixth Sense" at least is a true masterpiece.

Or take David Fincher who's films are all about both mood, and nagging what-happens-next action.

As far as other directors that "easily exceed" Lynch i wouldn't say there are too many. Maybe Zulawski, Jodorowsky, & certain Cronenberg films come close, but are you honestly comparing Lynch with Shyamalan & Fincher? Fincher maybe, and maybe the sixth sense is a good movie, not great one imho. But those two have absolutely nothing on Lynch. They're going for a completely different style than Lynch is.

And who are these modern day nolans you speak of?

Ive seen some near masterpieces by some newer directors like yorgos lanthimos, ben wheatley, & denis villneueve.

michaelohman has grown old at his older age? what is your "older age"

An easy ten for me. It's coming to theaters this year and I would kill to see it on the big screen

I am Senor Velasco, I drink my milk with tabasco

this year marks the 30 yr ann if I'm correct.

Yup, that's why it's getting the special releases.

Very exciting. Not many movies I'd rather see in theaters (but Mulholland Dr. would be one of them)

I actually got to see Mulholland Drive during its original theatrical run and it was probably the best movie going experience i have ever had.

I do need to see Blue Velvet on the big screen, i was too young for that one.

Luckily I saw it a few yrs ago on the big screen Amazing. Even more luckily M.Drive is coming to the big screen where I'm at in a couple monthson my birthday too. Wow Bob Wow.

I'm so jealous of you guys! Seeing my favorite movie in theaters!

Yeah, back in 2001 I was only 6, so no luck then. Hoping it will get some special release in theaters near me some time.

But yeah, in the meantime not intending to miss BV

Well, I envy your age. Can't get that back.

I know the turmoil when this came. The friends I knew liked weird stuff. But when they got older they too saw this as a hype they've forgotten about because to them it was a momentary youth-thing.

Funny though, there was a question on Swedish TV-show "Wanna Be a Millionaire" asking what the main character found in the straw in the early part of the film. The guest who were in his 30's knew the name of several of the lead characters, the director and other stuff, but was bewildered on this, so he stayed on his 450.000 instead of moving on to the last two questions possibly earning him the final goal.

I loved the film Blue Denim with Brandon DeWilde and Carol Lynley.

Does the OP'd mummy let him out alone?

Only those with no valid argument pick holes in people's spelling and grammar.

I can't rail against you; people have different tastes. You have to have a certain type of world outlook to get in line with this and most of Lynch's work. To me this movie is a sublime masterwork. Give it another chance.

It seems the OP is more interested in watching movies that escape from harsh realities more than see beneath the horrible surface

Undoubtedly original, but still people liking to watch things like this must be more damaged than people who can't have enough of gore and blood-spatter.

That's a stupid statement.

I got news for em. Theres gonna be hell to pay. Cause I aint Daddys little boy no more

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Sick excuse for a post

Oh well, I can live with not being normal.

I'm right there with you. Normal is boring. Blue Velvet is great!

People have different tastes. There is no need to lump together all of the people who enjoy darker more twisted psychological movies as deviants or psychopaths. I generally don't berate people who like stuff that isn't quite my taste.

It tried to be different. That's all. Not a masterpiece or even great film but good one, overall.

Not for everyone, better nails it.

Think it helps if you've watched and enjoyed some classic Film Noir, or enjoy dark humour, or have a genuine interest in psychology and the secret fears and desires people prefer to sweep under the carpet. My wife is a pretty gentle soul and she's usually quite squeamish about on screen violence but she loved BV when we recently watched it on the big screen. I guess I've been a bad influence on her Now if you'd been saying Inland Empire was sick and sickening I'd agree with you then again, I haven't seen it since it came out - I watched it alone on the big screen, maybe not in a very good place in my own life at the time, and I might feel differently about if I gave it another try but I have no intention of doing that - too many films, not enough time, ya know?

Anyway, I call Blue Velvet a masterpiece and an inspiration to me personally as a filmmaker, mainly for the economy and specificity in its storytelling. Also, the casting is just perfect.

If to stand pat means to resist evil then, yes, neighbour, we wish to stand pat.

Hmmm… what? I won't even waste my time reacting to the rest of your post but… Really? So Blue Velvet is more messed up than A Serbian Film? Aren't you trying to intentionally trigger people?

"You're a disease, and I'm the cure!" - Marion "Cobra" Cobretti