What's Happening!! : Danielle Spencer: Worst child star ever?

Re: Danielle Spencer: Worst child star ever?

Dee's character was funny in the first seasons but eventually became Very One dimensional and monotonous and Danielle Spencer never really brought out the character It could have had something to do with her accident but that's speculation.

Goodbad it really doesn't matter to me. She always made me laugh! That's the important thing! :)

I don't know if she was terrible or not but chances are, she was hired because she was cute and could follow a script. That's pretty typical for child actors. I was channel surfing and came upon this show. At first I thought it was a later episode of "Good Times" because she resembled Janet Jackson as a child.

Like others said there, she was great at her DEADPAN deliveries. I doubt she had any traning, which would maybe explain her virtural disappearance from showbiz after the show ended.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I just watched a couple episodes of WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW!!, after she had grown up and found her to be a very attractive and charming presence onscreen! She was not that caustic little "kid sister" but a pretty young woman with a softer sarcastic edge.

I totally disagree. Danielle Spencer was a fine actress. She made me laugh. Aren't you being a bit too
critical of a child actress. So what if she sometime she had to look at a tele-prompter,(if she did I couldn't tell) she was just a child. What were you expecting a Betty Davis or Esther Rolle performance from a 10 year old. All I know is Dee made me laugh. Even after all these years her performances in both the 1st and
2nd season make me laugh.

Danielle Spencer was not a professional actress when she was chosen for the role of "Dee". Another girl was supposed to play the part, but there was a last minute substitution and Danielle was selected. Her acting was satisfactory for a non-professional, even though she demonstrated some nervousness at first. Just remember, she was playing the part of a bratty little sister, which she did quite well.

This series was filmed in front of a live audience, and I remember Dee getting some very funny lines and the studio audience howled and cheered, especially when she stood up against Roger. Dee ended up becoming more popular than some of the other actors.

worst child actor ever?
jerry mathers,& he was ugly.

fried ice cream is a reality

I think she was very entertaining and was very funny and couldn't wait to see what Dee was up to every time a new episode aired.

Screw that.
Danielle Spencer: Most awesome child star ever.

Are you a bug Bill Murray?

ANYBODY out there, from Obama to His Holiness, that thinks Danielle Spencer stunk as Dee, all I've got to say about that is:

YOU don't know BEANS about acting!!

Let me tell you, neither "What's Happening" or it's sequel "What's Happening Now" WOULDN'T have been the same without Dee Thomas or Danielle to play her. Raj's little sis took no s of off ANYONE, her sibling included!! She put EVERYONE in their place, NOOOOO bones about it!! Also, go look at today's picture of her on TMZ, she's right up there with the late Princess Di in looks and style. As others on her side said, and I FULLY and TOTALLY agree with them, Danielle did JUST, did EXACTLY, what her part called for!! WITHOUT sassy Dee, that show WOULDN'T be

WORTH WATCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DEE was great in season one. like a machine she just bagged on everyone. season two she got a little bad but was still funny; had funny lines here and there. but season three, wow, she was horrible.

winkgrin.gifwinkgrin.gifwinkgrin.gifwinkgrin.gifwinkgrin.gifwinkgrin.gifwinkgrin.gifwinkgrin.gif

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

There were times when her acting was a little off especially when it came to more emotional scenes, she seemed to only be good at the dead pan delivery. I didn't have much of a problem with her acting though. The casting director wanted a sassy little girl to play the roll of "Dee" and Danielle Spencer was a good choice. I just can't stand the character! I don't know of any little girl who is that rude and sarcastic all the time, she doesn't really even act like a kid to me for the most part. Dee is extremely annoying, selfish and obnoxious character. I hated the way she always had to tattle tale. Sometimes is okay, but is was really overkill with her.

Dee is probably the most annoying child character on tv i've ever seen. Just totally obnoxious and irritating.

"And when the groove is dead and gone, love survives, so we can rock forever" RIP MJ

There are times on the show where it seems like she'd *really* rather be somewhere else. In the Doobie Brothers two-parter for example, sometimes it's like she can hardly get her lines out. I've read about her stepdad being killed in a car crash (where she was also injured) after season 1, so that could certainly explain her change in energy.

I feel like there were "three Dees", over the top loud and obnoxious Dee, deadpan Dee, and I don't want to be here anymore Dee. Deadpan Dee was of course the best.

I think Pugsley was pretty bad on the Addams family. You want to talk about monotone lol.

Spencer tied with Alison Arngrim, who played Nellie Oleson on Little House on the Prairie, for the "Character Most in Need of a Time-out" award on the 2006 TV Land Awards.

I don't think Spencer was the worst child star (I presume you mean actor) ever. She wasn't a strong actress, even when she did the sequel show it was apparent she wasn't any good, but she did deliver her sarcastic lines well. The whole show was full of bad acting. Fred Berry for instance was simply awful.

I don't think child stars, at least in the 70s and 80s, had to be anything more than cooperative and intelligent enough not to just stand there gaping into the camera. There were a few exceptions of course - like Gary Coleman (who was genuinely funny but an awful actor as he got older), Jason Bateman, and Ricky Schroder but most were terrible. Watch a few episodes of Punky Brewster and you'll see what I mean. Soleil Moon Frye was very cute but she can't act her way out of a paper bag.

I liked Danielle because she came across as a real kid.. not syrupy or fake like many child stars of the time.. When she said ohhhhhh to Raj when she caught him playing dice, that was Gold!!!

At least Dee wasn't a jinx like cousin Oliver on "The Brady Bunch".

Perhaps Danielle's indifferent style of acting was a plus to the writers. It made Dee seem even more a menace if she didn't care much and seemed apahetic (most of the time).

For those of you who do not know, Danielle was seriously injured in a car accident in the beginning of season 2. Her stepfather was killed, and she was in a coma for 2 weeks. Afterwards, there was a change in her demeanor, which was to be expected. She had been severely traumatized. Prior to the accident, she did not look off the set, etc. You be can sure that significantly affected her acting.

thats saying alot considering how bad almost everyone on the show was, I'd say dewayne was a close second, mabel king wss by far the best she really needed to be on a good show.