The Last Samurai : Does Tom Cruise get unfairly criticised?

Does Tom Cruise get unfairly criticised?

I am a bit of a samurai film lover, I love the old Japanese films set in this period by the likes of Kurosawa and Kobayshi, and this film really shows a knowledge and respect to those movies and the Japanese culture - which I had been led to believe otherwise before viewing, most likely because of people disliking Tom Cruise. I think the fact he came from making stupid films like Cocktail and that he is a Scientologist leads people to say this. I think his performance in this film was Oscar-worthy, the film itself was magnificent and so underrated, its a shame people are so short-sighted

Re: Does Tom Cruise get unfairly criticised?

...which I had been led to believe otherwise before viewing, most likely because of people disliking Tom Cruise.

Perhaps if it TLS had been made around the time of Cocktail I would have been one of those people. I didn't really like Tom Cruise's movies until 1996, with the one-two punch of Mission:Impossible and Jerry Maguire. But by now it's a given that Cruise will learn whatever is necessary for the role and study the hell out of it, like learning gunplay for Collateral. So I knew going in that TLS would have Cruise doing the swordplay himself rather than having cutaways to a stuntman, which always bugs me.

yes...tom cruise does get unfairly criticized.

Everyone should stop 'dissin' the Cruise and adhire to his enormous acting talents!

Can't stand Tom as a person but absolutely love him as an actor.

Kinda have similar feelings about Russell Crowe, Mel Gibson, and John Travolta.

I go to the movies to see them act, and they all do it well.

But yeah, Tom hurt his acting career and credibility with all his off camera antics, and gets unfairly criticized as an actor as a result.

Yeah, I think he is. He had his odd phase where he was a little obnoxiously public about his beliefs in Scientology, but at the same time it's his right to believe whatever he wants. I don't really care. I think he's a talented actor, and I really took notice of him after seeing Born on the Fourth of July. Daniel Day-Lewis was a very worthy winner that year for Best Actor, but I think I would have given the slight edge to Tom Cruise for the win. He was incredible.

that little phase? You mean him being spokesperson for a bizarre and criminal cult?

I will agree he's not a bad actor although he clearly tries to sell his trademark mug in every shot instead of playing the roll, but I find his activities for scientology so disgusting and off-putting I couldn't care less for any of his movies and fully boycot them.
I did like the last samurai though, I gotta admit that, but I think without him it could have been a lot better.

Definitely. I think a lot of people don't even give this film a chance because it was Cruise. At the time it was made, he wasn't considered the kooky guy he is now, but I think it was still hard for people to consider him a real actor. I thought he did a fantastic job in this film with a multifaceted role like this and more than held his own with Watanabe, who I think is a stellar actor.

he was ok

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I think people just have a beef with scientology in particular. It is pretty weird after all.

If you look at the ratings for this film in particular there aren't many '1's which you'd usually see when people have a lot of hate (e.g. mel gibson movies). It makes me think the teasing of cruise is pretty superficial. I'm sure most people realise what a great actor he is.

I like Tom Cruise as an actor. As a person, I do find him a bit weird, but not just because of Scientology.

Welcome to my Nightmare- Freddy Krueger

I've always felt he is. I think it's just popular to hate Tom Cruise. I don't really understand why. Seems to be basically just because he's a Scientologist. But I think he's actually a really good actor. He did a fantastic job in this movie, for example. And he was spectacular in Valkyrie too. So it really annoys me when people just reflexively start bashing when they see the name Tom Cruise.

Sig under construction

I think both Tom Cruise and Kevin Costner get unfairly critized. People read to many tabloids and watch to much TV and jump on bandwagons instead of looking at the actual work.

Examples my wife hated Tom Cruise, her reason - stuff on tv like Oprah and she doesn't like Top Gun or Mission Impossible movies.
So I showed her movies she never seen ( Born on the 4th July, RainMan, Collateral, Minority Report, The Last Samurai)
She still doesn't like him, but she respects him as an actor now.

Then my mother hated Kevin Costner, same thing I let her borrow Dragonfly, A Perfect World, War, The Guardian, Mr. Brooks, Open Range and had her rewatch Dances with Wolves all over a course of a couple years. Not only does she respect him, but she actually really likes him now.

Actually I was waiting for Nathan Algren to pull out of his depression,but never did.He seemed Depressed throughout the film.Despite his discovery of this New wonderful Japanese uplifting culture he unfortunately appears sad and depressed...maybe thats why critics did not award him with anything.

I admit I've been as guilty of this as anybody. After the couch jumping and the Scientology and the interview with Matt Lauer and everything...I used to be a fan, but I really have pretty much ignored his work for several years now. I caught The Last Samurai tonight for the first time, and I found myself appreciating his talent all over again. He can really carry a movie, and I think this is one of the best roles of his whole career.

I just watched Last Samurai also tonight. I think Tom Cruise holding up against the ALWAYS great Ken Watanabe and the rest of the cast, too much fun and a great film.

Really if you care about someones faith or whatever they do off-screen, just get a life and stop supporting those tabloid talk shows that promote scandal that doesn't exist. I really don't care. Just bring me something to watch and entertain and he is an entertainer. Anything about the man's private life, I really don't care.

I won't go into some pointless rant about useless people that 'report' on 'entertainment news' but it would be really nice if they could lend their 'talent' to helping advance society and promote real news/information instead of hyping the next hollywood scandal...

Post deleted

Agree with you on Lestat (I'm also Tom's fan). Cocktail isn't my favorite either, nor is Legend and I don't understand how some of his fans have either of those as their most favorite movie. Cocktail did have its impact though on bartending and all.

This is one of the best performances of Tom Cruise's career, perhaps only matched by Born on the Fourth of July.

Though its largely lampooned for the "I WANT THE TRUTH!!!" scene, A Few Good Men made me realize just how good of an actor Cruise is.
Unfortunately, his devotion to his sect, and his off-screen ability to chaffe people like a bucket of sand in your thong, have pretty much damned his career. If people largely didn't turn out for TLS, it was likely more for the fact it was a historical flick than because of Cruise himself. I don't think he started to go over-the-edge bonkers on the interview circuit, etc. til after TLS had come out.

I think he has great acting ability, but sadly he is a victim of his own success in a way. He's indicative of a cultural issue surrounding celebrities, which is that they often become famous for their private lives rather than their careers. We need to stop worshiping these people and simply appreciate their skill because they aren't the perfect specimens we hold them up to be. And if people insist on seeing them that way they will always inevitably be disappointed when they come to realize that someone who rose as high as Tom Cruise did can turn out to be as flawed as the next man. I have massive problems with Scientology in terms of its ethics, but quite frankly it really has nothing to do with the content of a movie as far as I'm concerned. It's a question of perspective really, and we need to ask ourselves why we're more interested in the positives and negatives of an actor's private life, than a Nobel peace prize winner, or a corrupt politician. For whatever reason this film does appear to be under appreciated, and as the post above mentions, the film did come out a couple of years before Tom Cruise started jumping on Oprah Winfrey's sofa. However I do wonder whether it might have developed a stronger following on DVD after its release if things had gone a bit differently in Tom Cruise's personal life.

Personally I think Cruise is a top actor, and I really couldn't care less about the things he does in his personal life.
I'd might think differently if I hated him, but for me in The Last Samurai, his acting is peformed so well, he is so much into his character that honestly I forget it's even Tom Cruise, I don't watch this film and see Tom Cruise, I see Nathan Algren. Infact even seeing his face, I don't think of Mission Impossible, or stupid guy jumping on Ophras lounge, or that scientology guy. No none of that. I'm completely driven into his character as a War Hero who is haunted by his past, an open minded man who from his own eyes is embraced by what the Samurai really were, not what he was told what they were.

as much as i hate him as a person and rag on him for being 5 feet tall he is a really good actor yes. i liked this film a lot as well as many others he has been in

and rag on him for being 5 feet tall

No disrespect intended, sir, but shove it up your ass!

This was a fantastic movie and Tom Cruise is a fantastic actor. People just take issue with his personal life, which is stupid. He's an actor and he does his job very well.

Post deleted

For The Last Samurai & War of the Worlds I do think he's incredibly over-criticised.

"It's easier to Critique than Create."

In this film, he actually does quite well. Initially, I was skeptical because his decidedly contemporary acting style is not exactly suited for an historical drama like this. But he's surprisingly stoic throughout the proceedings and the film's late-hour regression is not because of him but because of the silly writing. I give Cruise high marks for this performance.

Post deleted

Post deleted

Yes. Well, there was a period of time in recent history where he was, but that criticism seems to have subsided. I personally don't like his association with Scientology - he gives them more credibility than vice versa as they seem to further tarnish his image - but despite this, he has charisma, is a fine actor, and pretty darn good at choosing movie roles, which has garnered him so much success in the industry over the past three decades.

"It means that I, like God, do not play with dice and do not believe in coincidence." - V

He comes on kind of strong in his opening scene at the fair. I think a lot of people might just be mistaking his very strong performance as a washed up US Army captain for his actual ability to act. Note that his performance becomes more reserved as the film progresses.

I think he did a good job. It's not my favorite film, but it's a decent flick, and Cruise does an okay job of it.

Post deleted

This is why I wish people wouldn't be so obsessed with the personal lives of actors, lest it ruin their ability to appreciate their talents. I really don't know or care what Tom Cruise is like in his personal life, but I know that he's good at his job and that's all that matters. Same goes for other actors that are supposedly jerks in their personal lives like Russell Crowe and Peter Sellers. I don't let it detract from my enjoyment of their acting skills.

Yes, I think Cruise is unfairly criticized. A lot of people can't seem to separate his acting career from his personal life. The merits of his acting should be judged independently from the antics of his private life.

> Does Tom Cruise get unfairly criticised?

Yes.

Best film ever made? The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.