North by Northwest
Notorious
To Catch a Thief

Re: Cary Grant

North by Northwest
Arsenic and Old Lace
The Philadelphia Story
Notorious

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar, and doesn't.

Really tough call.

He was in so many great movies, and always delivered a good performance.

Bringing Up Baby (1937)

Not a big hit when first released, it has come to epitomize the best of screwball comedy.

Grant always had a flair for comedy and used it even in his more serious roles (Charade) but Katharine Hepburn had never done anything close to what she contributed to this movie. It loosened her up tremendously. I don't recall her ever being so carefree and wacky again, not even in the films she did with Spencer Tracy. Perhaps she took a cue from Grant and simply let loose. Whatever the trigger, it worked to perfection. Grant took his role and went to the edge of the cliff, stopping just short of jumping off, which he did in Arsenic and Old Lace. I like that one, too, but he got a lot of flack for it. The rapid dialogue and forward momentum is like an unstoppable freight train. You know the whole thing is silly as hell and the characters are cartoons, but it is all so engaging you can't get off until the end of the line.

Charade (1963)

An ultra stylish comedy/drama crime caper with so many twists and turns you practically need a score card to keep up. Grant has seldom been more debonair. He works in perfect unison with Audrey Hepburn and there are plenty of great character actors to insure that every scene squarely hits the mark.

North By Northwest (1959)

A must if you are listing the top five Grant performances and the movie that is probably more familiar to contemporary audiences that those from his classic period. Hitchcock's favorite star/actor was Jimmy Stewart judging by the number of movies they made together. I believe Grant comes in second. Leo G. Carroll ranks up the most appearances, overall, but he wasn't the star attraction. So much has been written about this movie, I don't think I can add anything new, except that I saw it when it was released and it has always been a favorite.

I own all three of the films I've picked. They always come in handy on cold winter days when you need something to warm your spirits while you are drinking something to warm the rest of you.

And This, Too, Shall Pass Away

The Awful Truth (1937), Bringing Up Baby (1938), Notorious (1946), North By Northwest (1959), and Charade (1963), in all of which he's peerless. It's a pity that, with eye-rolling predictability, when the Academy occasionally got round to throwing him a nomination or two it was for melodramatic nonsense like Penny Serenade (1941) and the misbegotten None But the Lonely Heart (1944). He's blissfully funny in the films above, and splendidly, complicatedly menacing in Notorious.