Working Girl : What was the computer/software program that Tess…..

What was the computer/software program that Tess…..

..used at Catherine's house that showed her Katherine's message to Jack? Was it an early form of email or intranet? How did Katherine send/view it? How was it transmitted?

I want to know, since this was 1988. Thanks!

Re: What was the computer/software program that Tess…..

There was email back then, while there wasn't an internet as we know it today, there were dedicated services available on dial up modems like compuserve. I first got myself a private email here in Australia in late 1991. It was not widely used by the population due to the prohibitive cost, but it was certainly available.

Cool.thanks!

I don't thin it was email. It looked like a letter based on its format. It was probably just a word processing software and the letter would have been printed and sent.

In the movie it was probably some made up thing. But in real life Xerox developed internal email, messaging, and networking in the 70's I believe.

Given they were a wealthy investment firm, they probably had the most up to date expensive things, like desktop pcs, software, fax machines (which were a luxury and expensive back in the day).

Thanks! It looks like it's basically a form of emailelectronic messages being sent. It seems that a big company would be able to have done that back in 1988.

the old Word Processors., probably Word Perfect.

Graham Hess: There is no one looking out for us. We are all alone.

But how did it get transmitted? How did people in 1988 access Word Perfect?

Thanks!

I just re-watched this movie recently. It wasn't an email, it was just a typed letter. Remember, it was never sent to Jack, otherwise he would've already know what Tess was talking about when she first mentioned the deal idea. It was just a word processor, for a letter that would've been sent out.

I don't patronize bunny rabbits!

Thanks! I bet you're so right. I was probably looking at it with a new technology/Internet gaze and not a 1988 view.

It was most likely a draft of a letter she was going to print out from a word processor and fax to him? Not regular mail, I think.

Thanks!! I'll have to watch again.

I was using the Internet in 1988 at the University. At that point it was government and educational with commercial use not allowed. Corporations would have their own systems that employees dialed into. Mainframes go back into the 50s but interactive terminals started getting more popular in the 70s. By the time this movie came out dial-up for home user services were popular. I remember Quantum Link which later became America Online. This web site started in 1990.

Ok, so do you think Katharine and Jack were using some kind of Internet/Intranet?

It was just a database of info on her computer, probably she saved stuff from the office on a floppy disc then took it home, uploaded it on her home pc so she could read it and work on it there. People carried around floppy discs back then. I think it was a draft of a letter Katherine was preparing to send to Jack after their dirty ski weekend.

Early email may have been available at that time in closed systems within a network of computers within the same company, especially in fancy Wall Street brokerage companies who could afford the latest tech upgrades. There was an early Microsoft program called "cc:Mail" where office computers were connected thru a LAN (local area network). You could send emails to people in departments within the same building, maybe even to departments in other buildings later on. Then it expanded outwards as the networks grew in the 1990s.

Yeah, I think you're right. I think that it was just worked she had saved. Katherine even said something about "saved on disk" so I think that Tess did open the floppy.