EuroTrip : What's really the greatest city in the world?

What's really the greatest city in the world?

I know people often hail New York City as being the greatest city in the world, and while it may very well be the greatest city in America, I highly doubt that it soars above every other major city in the world, but having never been out of the country before, I was wondering what people who have traveled to many different places throughout the world would consider the greatest city in the world.

Re: What's really the greatest city in the world?

London is pretty cool but very expensive; others may say Paris is; it just depends on your personal taste.

London really didnt do much for me. Too expensive, and no good food for really not that nice of a city.

My favorites are:
1 (tie). New York
1 (tie). Paris
2. While not a specific city, anywhere in Ireland (nicest people on earth)
3. Barcelona or Sevilla, Spain

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Basically metros, yeah. It's interesting, but not unexpected. Who's going to say Oaxaca, Mexico is the greatest city in the world?

I'm going to say San Francisco. A wide range of dirt-cheap eats to ultra-fine dining. The nightlife isn't comparable to larger cities at all, but there still are great clubs. Transportation is very easy, and if you can't figure out transit you can practically walk everywhere - it's a small city. Something for everyone - whether you like the outdoors, history, art, etc. Weather is okay depending on when you go, there can be nice days but never so hot that it's sweltering. Cute stores, plenty of shopping (all of the important designers represented downtown at least).

I have travelled to many of the most famous cities on earth.
San Francisco has the most shocking level of homelessness I have ever witnessed. It was disturbing to see these vulnerable people everywhere - completely ignored. I hope I never have to return there ever again in my life.

as far as my experience goes, london is by far the best

Doctor: I like bananas. Always take a banana to a party. Bananas are good!

Post deleted

I went to New York with my brother and father last spring, and I have never felt more alive, I have no problem finding my way around in Paris or London, because I've been there so many times, and I love them both, but New York was something completely different.

I come from Stockholm in Sweden and well Stockholm is a great city, I have all my friends and family living there. I travel alot to Copenhagen with my friends to just drink beer and enjoy the out-door life (Getting into a club in Stockholm costs a fortune).

Everybody in Copenhagen are so friendly and Danes have a great sense of Humor!

Stockholm and Copenhagen are the best cities in the world, in my opinion that is.

Los Angeles CA. No Doubt

LA sucks

Prague is my first reaction

--
Only living to die

Coming from Europe, I must say there are so many nice towns, like Prague, Firenze, York and Copenhagen. Yeah, Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Antwerp are ok too. I mostly prefer the (relatively small) medieval and renaissance towns.

Guido de Bruijn

Well personaly i like san fransisco(for its food and coulture and art) and tokyo(because its fast pase and has cutting edge technolodgy

I Say Quebec city (Quebec, Canada)
because of its cool culture and history... you know i cant decide id have to say Quebec city (Canada), Sydney (Australia), Tokyo (Japan), Hong kong (China), paris(France), moscow (Russia), becasue of all their cool cultures and vast histories also i have travelled a lot and these cities wernt boring but interesting and i they have a cool culture and history and cool foods and customs i guess im just a diverse person

I'll pick:

Thessaloniki (Greece)
Zurich (Switzerland)
New York (USA)

Without any doubt : Barcelona!!!! New York is a great second.

There are heaps of cities I love around the world! But I'll try and order them, vaguely:

1. London, England
2. Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3. Manchester, England
4. Berlin, Germany
5. Barcelona, Spain
6. Prague, Czech Republic
7. Rome, Italy
8. Galway, Ireland
9. Florence, Italy / Venice, Italy
10. Paris, France

Melbourne, Australia and Brugge in Belgium are also awesome/\.

"I'm stuck in an ethical pickle."

Culture? You can think an American or Canadian city is the best in the world, or just the nicest to be in, no problem, but don't say it's because of culture/history. No city over there is over 400 years old. No city in Europe is under 400 years old, some are even 4000 years old. When talking about culture and history, take that into account, please.

Consider the history of North America, and you'll understand why there is so much culture in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. There may not be much native culture (anymore), but so many different types of people have moved to America, and have maintained their culture while combining it with the ways of others. You could say that is how American culture itself developed, purely as a combination of all these different ideas and ways of doing things. And although you are correct about most European cities being much older than American cities, that should be obvious. Also, St. Augustine, Florida is over 400 years old.

Post deleted

You're right, in a way. But I don't like really that kind of assembled culture, seems rather artificial to me. When you live in a country where your ancestors have been living for hundreds of thousand years already, it's different. You breathe culture.
Look, for example, this is where I live:
http://wallpapers.dpics.org/wallpapers/63/Ghent_%28Gent%2C_Gand%29%2C_East-Flanders%2C_Belgium.jpg
http://www.toerisme-leiestreek.be/uploadedImages/leiestreekbe/29_Gemeenten/Gent.jpg
For the thread's sake, it is Ghent in Belgium, and it's of course the greatest city in the world =P
And it's an uneditted picture, mind you. Maybe they fiddled around with the colours and such, but the buildings are actually there, like you see on the pic.

Culture? You can think an American or Canadian city is the best in the world, or just the nicest to be in, no problem, but don't say it's because of culture/history. No city over there is over 400 years old. No city in Europe is under 400 years old, some are even 4000 years old. When talking about culture and history, take that into account, please.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Quebec City was founded on July 3, 1608 by Samuel de Champlain."
There are a couple different cities all over Canada that are hundreds and hundreds of years old. I'm not saying that history and culture go back more years then in Europe because I would be wrong, but i'm just bringing up that fact that cities have been around for ages.

Now on topic I would go with (No order)

Paris
Vencice
Rome
Moscow
Sydney
New York
Toronto
San Fransico
Vancouver

Really? I had no idea.

Surely that makes it LESS than 400 years old? Until July at least...

"The dead do not suffer the living to pass"
"You will suffer me"

I enjoyed Quebec City as well. Very clean town.

I don't think you can say any one city is the best in the world...but my favourite city I've been to is by far Rome.

Right, but the it also has like the most unkind people on earth I've met (after Russia that is)

Orlando is the best city in the world. Well, I love it at least.

Defintely Bangkok. It has everything except nice weather. BTY, I am not Asian at all.

Stores in the European cities I've been to (London and Paris) close a bit early,around 4 pm. Actually,when I was in London even the tourist attractions were closed by 6 pm. I've been to Tokyo as well,it's lively and vibrant depending on what area you're in. I'd have to say that in the end,the city I could see myself visiting the most and never get tired of is NYC. From Broadway to the street food...parking's an issue if you're not taking the subway,but otherwise I just love it.

London. Then Prague. NYC is so overrated, its ridiculous.

I spent two weeks in New Zealand and loved Auckland! .. other places: Vancouver, Portland (Oregon) and Verona (Italy)

without doubt melbourne(australia) best city in the world.
go victory!!!!!!!!!!!!

New York has got to be one of the greatest in the world but it doesn't always have to be looked at that way. I live in New york and of course i love where i live but there are so many great cities in the world.
Such as:
1) Prague
2) Paris
3)Quebec
4) berlin

Istanbul is the greatest..

Cheers

AMSTERDAM, BANKOK, LAS VEGAS

berlin rocks...and it even rocks more if you know your way around the city and its people

Into ur hands i commend my spirit

AMSTERDAM, BANGKOK, LAS VEGAS

i agree!!!!!

Coming from New Zealand and having traveled the Majority of the worlds major cities....i would have to rate in this order...-

1.Berlin
2.Seattle
3.Auckland/Christchurch
4.Oslo
5.Amsterdam
6.Moscow

Post deleted

Im just going to be Bias and say Belfast lol.

Manily for the change that has happaned. ONe of the safest cities in Europe and one of the best lol.

Heroes
Scrubs
One Tree Hill
Dexter
Hollyoaks
Supernatural
Psych

18/f/Belfast

I'd have to agree. There's so much to do in Belfast, but it's still a culturally-rich city. And, unlikely so many of the cities mentioned here, it isn't intimidatingly large, but rather still has maintained a certain home-town charm.

vienna, of course... lol

well i haven't been around the world much so i don't have much citys to compare... but maybe i'll change my mind when i've visited dublin in april ;D

"Angel Investigation - we hope you're helpless" - Doyle

Teh New Yorkeh, feck yehs I love that city

1-istanbul
2-siena
3-rome
4-firenze
5-barcelona

1 New York
2 London
3 Paris
4 Rome
5 Toronto

Roma Caput Mundi.

Melbourne, Australia. The city I love! Home.

Agreed! I'm from Brisbane, but I'd move to Melbourne in a heartbeat. The only other city in the world (that I've been to) that I would consider living in.

The culture, the people, the architecture... amazing.

MILAN IS THE BEST CITY EVER!!! BUT NOT MANY PEOPLE REALLY UNDERSTAND HOW BEAUTIFUL IT IS... ANYWAY AMSTERDAM IS REALLY COOL TOO...