Classic Film : What classics did you see last week? (6/15-6/21)

Re: What classics did you see last week? (6/15-6/21)

Quiet by my standards with one exceptional literary adaptation, one very well-acted post-war drama of familial reintegration, and one middling yet enjoyable hodge-podge of social concern and crime.

'Le général du roi' (2014) - 9/10
Though unmistakably a television production, this adaptation of du Maurier's novel takes us to revolutionary France and is compellingly detailed, sweepingly evocative and sensually romantic, while at the same time conveying the bleakness and creeping brutality of a nation swirling in the throes of bloody conflict. There is a sensuality to the scenes between Samuel Le Bihan and Louise Monot, that is well developed as the bleakness of the situation becomes ever more apparent to the wealthy. This is a gripping, fascinating and hugely praiseworthy directorial outing from the sadly now deceased Nina Companeez. The restrained yet sweeping scope and the subtlety of observation from actors and director alike has brought forth a richly rewarding and very moving film that is a fitting adaptation of the novel.

'Gambling House' (1951) - 6.5/10
Quite a few elements are considered in this entry. A ne'er-do-well, played by Victor Mature, agrees to stand trial for a killing in exchange for money. Running into problems with corruption, Mature charms the girl in the aid office while being threatened with deportation, later gets back the money promised to him and then closes out the picture in a rather well-filmed scene where it comes down to him and the kingpin. Worth watching for Mature, this overall is relatively routine yet it occasionally proves diverting for its social angle on struggling immigrants and their route to integration.

'In Our Name' (2010) - 8/10
Joanne Froggatt turns in an exceptional performance in this bleakly realistic and tightly observed look at life for a woman soldier and the challenges of familial reintegration in the wake of returning home from war. That process isn't aided by the fact that her husband (Mel Raido) is a fully-fledged psychopath who speaks of his enjoyment of killing. The spartan, humdrum reality of existence on a council estate in Middlesbrough is used really effectively by director Brian Welsh to convey and ferment the sense of dislocation and uncertainty in the young woman. The film and its central performance is all the more powerful for not coming down and offering a take on the rights and wrongs of engaging in distant conflicts. The war-zone she has nightmares of is a hazy and fuzzily indistinct recollection. Froggatt's Suzy is a simple woman who did a job and came home. It is a haunting performance that marks the film indelibly into one's mind. Although the film wanders into somewhat misjudged thriller territory late on, the performance remains and is the element that makes this an important study of trauma and post-conflict existence.

Congratulations to the gaelic footballers of Westmeath on reaching the provincial final after stirringly recovering from ten points down against arch-rivals Meath in today's semi-final. They did the 'Lake County' proud.

That's all, folks!

French reworking of The King's General

Oooh, I must bloomin' look out for the du Maurier adaptation. I liked her work in me youth. I see that this flick transfers the setting to the Vendée during the 'orrible conflict that gripped and engulfed France. I fink such a change could weally work well. I loved the local detail and the sense of danger and subterfuge that was evoked in the novel. Fanks for the weview, shipmate!

God Save the King

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: What classics did you see last week? (6/15-6/21)

Bump

😴👉i slept on the sidewalk by the side of the castle in the Magic Kingdom👈👸