Classic Film : Year-by-Year Polls: 1959 - Results

Italian cinema receives terrible punishment

48. Il generale Della Rovere / General Della Rovere (Roberto Rossellini)
59. La grande guerra / The Great War (Mario Monicelli)
69. India: Matri Bhumi (Roberto Rossellini)
71. Un maledetto imbroglio / The Facts of Murder (Pietro Germi)
72. La notte brava / The Big Night (Mauro Bolognini)
--. Estate violenta (Violent Summer)
--. Caltiki - il mostro immortale
--. Ercole e la regina di Lidia
--. I magliari
--. Il tempo si è fermato
--. Le legioni di Cleopatra

With the only exception of the Bolognini (because I prefer his Arrangiatevi), they all deserve a higher ranking, imho. At least I'm happy to see the usually overlooked Germi.

Re: Year-by-Year Polls: 1959 - Results

Just as a footnote to my comment about the Apu Trilogy on the poll thread, I saw PATHER PANCHALI for the first time & loved it, but I detected a probable subtitle shortage on the R2 edition I was watching & decided to save the rest of the trilogy for the upcoming Criterion release, in the hope that its subtitles will be more numerous. I'll probably rewatch PATHER after the set arrives. Overall, I'm happy to say that I caught several excellent films I'd never seen before & wound up revising my list more thoroughly than ever.

You gotta start off each day with a song ... even when things go wrong ....

My ballot wasn't counted after all. I haven't been able to stop crying because of this.

~~~~~
Jim Hutton (1934-79) & Ellery Queen 🎇

Great stuff as usual Ale

Delighted at another win for Hitch, it's pure escapist cinema is NBNW. A great year, and a good poll for non English language films. Nice to see Ride Lonseome crack the top 20, it has become my favourite of the Scott/Boetticher films, the purge scene at the end is magnificent. I also fall into the camp that prefers El Dorado to Rio Bravo, but it's nice to see the Western well represented in the poll.

The Spikeopath - Hospital Number 217

I can't vote... 😢

"Over my dead body!" (Audrey Hepburn).

Wot? You is admittin' that you is one of 'em bloomin' sockpuppets, shipmate. Well, shiver me timbers. I need a bloomin' stiff drink after this wather shocking admission.

God Save the King

Are you absolutely horrified ? As though you've just seen a U-Boat off the starboard bow ??

" I'm just gonna go find a cash machine..."

Another lost soul reappears! I have not seen you lately, soullimbo. Maybe I just was not reading the right threads. Howdy!

As iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another

Hi there , I've been around....so to speak ;)

" I'm just gonna go find a cash machine..."

Well, I might have exaggerated me surprise just a smidgen, shipmate. I were on seven boats that was sunk during the war and I is fair dinkum proud of the fact that I managed to get off each one before it were actually hit. And survived to tell the tell as I approach me bleedin' centenary. Me senses were finely tuned and I could sense when a U-Boat was hovering around in me ship's vicinity. I would careen in to the icy waters of the North Atlantic and rest on me inflatable fing until the ship had been sunk and then join the survivors. That's how I managed to become a lauded veteran.

God Save the King

There ye be, shipmate! I ha'been a'lookin' for ye in ev'ry hill and dale 'round these here parts. I done ye wrong larst time we spoke, an' I wants to set things right, by Jupiter. Where ha'ya been hidin', y'ornry old swabbie?

I don't want to veer this fread orf course so I will limit me response to the fact that I can't weally understand your lingo, shipmate.

Je suis Albert

Fair enough, says I. Good day to ya, matey.

Now that I can understand. Good day, shipmate.

Je suis Albert

What the hell do you mean?

"Over my dead body!" (Audrey Hepburn).

And finally, the CFB's love for thrillers and noir is manifest in yet another win for Alfred Hitchcock, his 9th:

Well, I'd say there's lots of love for Hitchcock simply because he was so well-known. Well-known directors and films will almost always do better in these polls than their inherent quality warrants.

Also, since he is so revered by many long time posters on this board, voters with limited classic viewing know they won't be slammed by old-timers for voting for a Hitchcock film.

Also, on another point, Hitchcock indeed had a few "thrillers", but most of his films were what I would describe as melodrama. But of course to describe some of his films as "melodrama" would be considered an insult since that genre is no longer much respected. Again, Hitchcock gets a pass, just because of who he is.

Lech

Bump. This were going to be ewased and I fought to meself that I might move it up to the front of the queue so that it's bloomin' awound for a wee while longer. These wesults are mahvellous every bloomin' time. Where is the wesults for 1999, by the way, OldAleOne? Takin' a while, ain't they?

God Save the King

For me, 1959, film wise, is distinguished and energized by filmmakers from France (though I might include Cassavetes' "new wave" film in this group), and also because of several great films about WW2 from Japan and Russia.

The rest mostly pales in comparison.

Bumpity, bump. Offered in a spirit of friendship.

God Save the King

Bump

👈😲 i slept on the sidewalk by the side of the castle in the Magic Kingdom 😴👉

A friendly bump to keep these wesults alive and available for weferencing. Hope OldAleOne comes back to this 'ere Classic Film Boat one of these days.

God Save the King