Classic Film : 1932 Poll - Thread For Recs and Raves.

Re: The Conquerors

In the past, perhaps. It's in circulation now through Warners' Archive Collection.

Will Hays is my shepherd, I shall not want. Wills prod and Will's gaff, they confound me.

Re: 1932 Poll - Thread For Recs and Raves.

The Old Dark House

Rynox:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023416/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

~~~~~
Jim Hutton (1934-79) & Ellery Queen

Rynox

Great find Ellery, very rare!

The Spikeopath - Hospital Number 217

Re: Rynox (novel and film)

I remember reading the book a few years ago. VERY hard to get through. The author spent too much time analyzing in detail the finances of the company going bankrupt in the story. That's lousy writing for a mystery story. The movie cut out all that stuff and basically told the story as if though it was a short story rather than a novel. It's a tad predictable, but still worth a look.

~~~~~

Pesn o geroyakh , Song Of Heroes

Directed by Joris Ivens

Release date, Soviet Union, 1932

A fascinating documentary film on the building of the new industrial city Magnitogorsk capturing the solidarity spirit of communist youth workers organisation Komsomol, the construction being part of the first five year plan of Stalin's Soviet Union.

Pesn o geroyakh (1932)

The KPD, fascinating

The Rider Of Death Valley I think is the best and most exciting of 8 western films made in 1932 starring legendary cowboy Tom Mix and his horse Tony.

The Rider Of Death Valley

The Rider of Death Valley (1932)

Wow, that is a seriously well thought of Tom Mix Oater

Quite a year!

Laurel & Hardy fans can gorge, horror fans rejoice, while there's some serious bad buttocked crimers worthy of classic status.

But that's just me of course

Well it looks like we may not get the poll, but if it does surface I hope Island of Lost Souls (1932) does very well.

The others I think have all been linked, except maybe Two-Fisted Law (1932), but I am working from a befuddled hangover due to a day at the cricket yesterday

If OldAle were to decide to not do this poll, this doesn't mean we should abandon it all together. I mean people here have been exchanging and watching recs for two weeks, so that would be a shame if it was all just cancelled.

By the way, I was wondering whether 1960 had been done yet ? It was a very important year for movies, though I don't know how much there is to dig compared to other years.

Re: 1932 Poll - Thread For Recs and Raves (another)

Did I really forget to mention The Thirteenth Guest? Geez, I must be slipping in my old age!

Lots of other great films are being mentioned in this thread.

~~~~~

The Thirteenth Guest (1932)

God bless Ginger

Fun film! It's posted on its IMDb home page.

~~~~~

A timely blogathon coming up in July: https://aurorasginjoint.com/2016/05/07/hot-and-bothered-the-films-of-1932-blogathon/

"Ain't it funny how coffee never tastes as good as it smells?"

Paddy

Haven't seen a lot of "obscure" 1932 movies that i liked. Production values were pretty bad back then and its obvious a lot of the actors were still learning how to do "talkies".

that said, I really loved:

Tarzan
The Most Dangerous Game
Trouble in Paradise
Sign of the cross
Red dust
boundu saved from Drowning
The Mask of Fu Manchu
Fanny
The Blue Light
20000 years in sing sing
Wooden Crosses

Haven't seen a lot of "obscure" 1932 movies that i liked. Production values were pretty bad back then and its obvious a lot of the actors were still learning how to do "talkies".

Yeah, that's why I think I will be skipping this one. I have hundreds of movies I want to watch that are much higher priority for me than obscure 1932 movies.

I'll still be available for running the poll and tallying the results if OldAle wants to stop and it comes to this. But I probably won't be giving any top 10 of mine. Of course it would be preferable if someone more familiar with the year does it, but it's still better than no poll at all.

Piss off phenix, we don't want you running the polls. And you're being incredibly hypocritical considering just a couple of months ago you made a thread complaining about them.

I'll be waiting, with a gun and a pack of sandwiches.

I liked this 1966 one. It may depend on the quality of the year, but I think now they're a great way to look more deeply into a year.

"I'll still be available for running the poll and tallying the results"

Tallied as you did when you commandeered and highjacked the 1966 poll ?

Difference being that you want to actually "run it" instead of ruin-ing someone else's Poll ?

No thanks !

How did I ruin it exactly ? I think I did a fairly good work on the presentation and introduced a nice novelty with the tribute montage. It would be cool if we kept doing something like that in future polls.

oh phooey phenix... we already went over this .. you STOLE the poll, deliberately posted YOUR so-called results in a hurry before OldAle had his tally ready and then implied that it was ok with him to post your "tally". If you don't GET that this was WRONG , you are beyond help.

My last on this as it's Spike's thread and it's supposed to be about the poll for films of 1932 which now because of YOU may or may not take place.

But you haven't explained how I "ruined" it. Like, what was wrong with my presentation ? I tried to do the best I could.

OldAle is the one who brought up the polls being suspended, so in truth if it does not take place it will be his own choice. Don't try to blame it on me. And I've said I'm okay with running it if there's no other choice, so please don't act like I'm against the polls or something. I never imagined OldAle would consider this, I thought that either he would finally make peace with me, or that he would just ignore it without letting it affect the future polls.

Sure it may be a consequence of what I did, but you guys created this problem by yourselves. All I wanted was people to realize that OldAle was in the wrong and that I could be a contributive and good willed poster. Instead all of you, with the exception of RogertheMovieManiac, went full negative on me. It's quite frustrating and disheartening to receive only hate when you've spent many hours counting results and working on a montage video that was supposed to move and excite people as they discover the top 11 movies.

At this point I don't know what more I'm supposed to do to get acknolwedged as a valid voter on here. Sorry for the rant but this whole affair with OldAle is starting to wear me down.

The year of the Crosses.

Les croix de bois (1932)
The Sign of the Cross (1932)

Ocean

Trouble In paradise is my favourite film of 1932 and probably my favourite film of all time. exquisitely funny.

Trouble In paradise

Very well regarded on site and this board.

Hi Spike!

So far I've only rated 18 or so films here on IMDb from 1932 but some of those are ones that I very much admire and think worthy of recommendation. Here are a few standouts for now and I'll try to offer more as I see them.

Masterpieces in my eyes:
'Vampyr' www.imdb.com/title/tt0023649/ - 10/10
'I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang' www.imdb.com/title/tt0023042/ - 10/10
'Broken Lullaby' www.imdb.com/title/tt0022725/ - 10/10
'White Zombie' www.imdb.com/title/tt0023694/ - 9/10
'Two Seconds' www.imdb.com/title/tt0023629/ - 9/10
'Shanghai Express' www.imdb.com/title/tt0023458/ - 9/10
'A Farewell to Arms' www.imdb.com/title/tt0022879/ - 9/10
'Scarface' www.imdb.com/title/tt0023427/ - 9/10

Fine films that might well be list-worthy:
'Rome Express' www.imdb.com/title/tt0023410/ - 8.5/10
'Cynara' www.imdb.com/title/tt0022796/ - 8/10
'The Penguin Pool Murder' www.imdb.com/title/tt0023327/ - 8/10
'Blondie of the Follies' www.imdb.com/title/tt0022700/ - 8/10
'The Mummy' www.imdb.com/title/tt0023245/ - 8/10
'The Dentist' www.imdb.com/title/tt0022807/ - 8/10
'Forbidden' www.imdb.com/title/tt0022905/ - 8/10
'The Half-Naked Truth' www.imdb.com/title/tt0022971/ - 7/10

Somewhat disappointing:
'The Lost Squadron' www.imdb.com/title/tt0023151/ - 6/10

That's all, folks!

Hiya Roger

With the great news that Old Ale will be continuing the polls in August we can reignite this thread. I haven't seen White Zombie so I'm hoping to catch that one, and I definitely need to rewatch and review The Mummy. I remember it being very slow, but now in later life I'm more receptive to that sort of hing

Great contribution chap,

I'm bumping this thread.

Bump

👈😲 i slept on the sidewalk by the side of the castle in the Magic Kingdom 😴👉