Classic Film : 1932 Poll - Thread For Recs and Raves.

1932 Poll - Thread For Recs and Raves.

Hiya all, in preperation for the next yearly film poll run by Old Ale, which is 1932, this thread is open for recommends, raves and any discussion relating to 1932. I shall keep it open until voting for the poll closes, so I'll dip in and out to keep the thread active. Any links posted are much appreciated, but if you are not able then I'm more than happy to do it for you. CFB is a minefield of film knowledge so anything from obscures to mainstream, across the globe, will be posted and of course well received. We do love the little seen and little known pics.

1966 poll is here > http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000010/thread/257546180

The Spikeopath - Hospital Number 217

Re: 1932 Poll - Thread For Recs and Raves.

The bottom two on your list will most likely be in my top 5. I haven't seen Grand Hotel but I have a feeling I may have it in some format or other.

jj

Put the Ozu somewhere on your list.

jj

"I can't BELIEEEEEVE you're such a geese!"

Starter links for references ... looks like a fantastic year :

http://www.filmsite.org/1932.html
http://www.imdb.com/year/1932 1591 titles !

Brill, thanks for the links B

I guess there is more here than I ever thought of:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Films+from+1932

K

Well, I guess I am finally going to watch Freaks. Lots of interesting films for me to explore or re-visit. Bela Lugosi was very busy in 1932.

As iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another

Many good ones and some I have seen recently. May not try to do the # route this time unless further checking reveals some top contenders. I hate ranking !

RE: Freaks (1932) ... will be interesting to see what you think of it. My usual advise : Watch it expecting nothing. You won't be disappointed and you may be surprised.

Good advice, thanks! No way will I be able to come up with 20 for the Poll. I think I will find 5-6 lesser known goodies and throw points their way. Grand Hotel, Red Dust, and such will do fine on their own, I would imagine.

As iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another

Freaks is a positively unique experience, both terrifying and fascinating.

Two films I like I didn't see mentioned yet:

The Music Box - Laurel and Hardy won an Oscar for this short, I think it's really funny.

Fanny - part II, and my favourite part of Pagnol's 'Marseilles' trilogy.

Oh shanty town, we're gonna tear ya down
I got me money come out of me stockins

The Music Box - Laurel and Hardy won an Oscar for this short, I think it's really funny.

One of their funniest and most iconic films.

- Crazy. All crazy but I'm.

The Music Box (1932)

There's ten L&H shorts from 32, so I'm currently sifting through my massive box set to see what I have from the year.

Fanny (1932)

Glen

Good call on The Music Box.

In the eighties, it was remade as an episode of the sitcom Perfect Strangers.

The movie is superior, for sure.

~~~~~
Jim Hutton (1934-79) & Ellery Queen

Rollo .. you would no doubt know...

Is Taxi ! the Cagney film where he talks a lot of Yiddish ? His language skills were under discussion in the game thread and an image came to me of Cagney as a Taxi driver but I was not 100% as to the title. I seem to have misplaced the dvd and can't confirm.

Busy year for Marlene ! Yay !

Yep! He displays his command of Yiddish both in this one and the following year's Lady Killer.

→ God save Donald Duck, vaudeville and variety ←

I knew you would know. I have not ever seen Lady Killer so memory confirmed. Thanks.

Rollo, great list. Your top tier has 4 or 5 probables of mine. Good to see another voter for Once in a Lifetime. This is a very solid year, should be a phun poll.

One I will probably vote very high that I haven't seen on any of the lists yet is The Animal Kingdom (1932). Any takers?

A few more up for consideration:

Les gaîtés de l'escadron (1932)
Ivan (1932)
La nuit du carrefour (1932)
Gli uomini, che mascalzoni... (1932)
Daïnah la métisse (1932)
The Impatient Maiden (1932)
La tavola dei poveri (1932)
Tumultes (1932)
Die verliebte Firma (1932)
Der Prinz von Arkadien (1932)
Man braucht kein Geld (1932)
Ein blonder Traum (1932)

Definitely going to be tough considerations. This will require a fortitude of which I do not yet possess. But I am working on it.

Will Hays is my shepherd, I shall not want. Wills prod and Will's gaff, they confound me.

Definitely going to be tough considerations. This will require a fortitude of which I do not yet possess. But I am working on it.

I know the feeling

Thanks for contributing, nice list

Nice list, adding...

Union Depot
The Crowd Roars
Bird of Paradise
Forbidden
The Dark Horse
Washington Merry-Go-Round
Chandu the Magician
The Lost Squadron
Payment Deferred
American Madness
Tiger Shark
Prosperity
Big City Blues
Two Seconds
Ladies of the Jury
Hell's Highway
Shopworn
Lawyer Man
Penguin Pool Murder
Beauty and the Boss
The Mouthpiece
Kongo
Hot Saturday
Thirteen Women
Blessed Event
Law and Order
Night World
The Silver Cord
Downstairs

It ain't easy being green, or anything else, other than to be me

Penguin Pool Murder (1932) I liked a lot, Oliver and Gleason a fine pairing.

Tiger Shark (1932) looks a goodie.

I'm wondering how American Madness (1932) will do in the poll? A different sort of Capra movie, with Huston on great form.

American Madness is one of my favorite Capra films. Once he hit the big time, he's of less interest to me, Meet John Doe being the exception. Not that there aren't things to admire in Deeds, Smith and Wonderful Life but he's great at boxing in his characters, then getting them off the hook in ways that are much too simple. Doe is guilty of that also, but I like the overall darkness of the premise as well as the idea of a Doe movement.

Brother, do we need one here and now.

It ain't easy being green, or anything else, other than to be me

Your contribution is, well, as always, grade A

Betty Boop for President! Whoosh!

A veritable feast of 1932 movies!

Goes without saying, but I will, thanks as always for the excellent contribution Rollo

Underrated/underseen films from 1932 I really like:

I Was Born, But... (Yasujiro Ozu) - I sometimes feel this wonderful little comedy is Ozu's best film (he also has a second film from the year, Where Now Are Our Dreams of Youth, which I will be watching, as well as a lost film).

If I Had a Million (various) - It varies a bit in quality due to it being an omnibus film, but most of the segments are great. See it for W.C. Fields if for nothing else.

The Passionate Plumber (Edward Sedgwick) - Buster Keaton's talkies have mostly gotten an unfair rap. This one is the best from what I've seen.

The Mask of Fu Manchu (Charles Brabin) - Offensive but ridiculously entertaining, Boris Karloff stars as the evil Fu Manchu, who wants to use the sword and mask of Genghis Khan to inspire the Asian race to whipe out the white race.

No Blood Relation (Mikio Naruse) - An actress pines for the son she gave up for adoption. Quite lovely.

You know who else was just following orders? HITLER!

Forgot about If I Had a Million. I recall WC Fields' segment and the segment with the forger. And I recall loving it overall.

Chain Gang was certainly a top film. Liked Horse Feathers, too. Saw both of them in the last 10 yes.

Horse Feathers - Not the best of the Marx Bros' films, but still quite entertaining.

- Crazy. All crazy but I'm.

Horse Feathers

Horse Feathers (1932)

Plenty of fans on this board I would bet.

Hi Spike!

Will come back later with more recs and raves, but for now I'm pimping two Edward L. Cahn masterpieces:

the greatest Oater of the 30s, Law and Order (1932)

and one of the toughest proto-Noir of the whole decade, Afraid to Talk (1932)

jd

Both of interest to me I have to say jd

Three relatively obscure gems:

Letty Lynton, a very pre-code film where Joan Crawford literally gets away with murder. Unfortunately it has been unavailable for decades over legal issues.

Night World with Boris Karloff in gangster mode as he runs a prohibition era night club. This blatant pre-code entry also stars Lew Ayres, Mae Clark, and George Raft.

Behind The Mask. Karloff plays the henchman of mysterious criminal mastermind Mr. X who runs a heroin smuggling ring. It's a fascinating mix of crime, mystery and horror which also stars Edward Van Sloan who played Professor Van Helsing in Dracula.

Letty Lynton (1932)
Night World (1932) Well thought of on site.
Behind the Mask (1932)

Good work J, thank you.

Red-Headed Woman
Where are the Dreams of Youth
Grand Hotel
Call Her Savage
Red Dust
The Old Dark House
Trouble in Paradise
Three Wise Girls
Shanghai Express

Go to bed Frank or this is going to get ugly .

The Old Dark House (1932)

Potato Maddy?

Thank you, I should love a potato.

Go to bed Frank or this is going to get ugly .

Well I certainly rec and rave about Trouble in Paradise, Boudu Saved From Drowning, Scarface, Freaks, Vampyr, etc, but a few others to pick out:

One Hour with You (1932) Hugely fun and charming Lubitsch musical.

Love Me Tonight (1932) Another very enjoyable musical.

Le sang d'un poète (1932) Films don't get much more surreal than this, which feels very unusual coming from the early thirties. Not for everyone but definitely worth seeing if you like the weird and creative.

Three on a Match (1932) One of the definitive pre-code films. Oh so scandalous! Don't take it seriously and enjoy the ride. Featuring a young Bette Davis.

20,000 Years in Sing Sing (1932) More Bette, this time paired up with Spencer Tracy in their only screen outing. Worth seeing mainly for that reason.

Me and My Gal (1932) Pretty good edgy romance, with Spencer Tracy and Joan Bennett.

I'll be waiting, with a gun and a pack of sandwiches.

The Old Dark House (1932)

And the 2 Laurel and Hardy shorts:

The Music Box (1932)
Towed in a Hole (1932)

"Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?"

Le sang d'un poète (1932) Films don't get much more surreal than this, which feels very unusual coming from the early thirties. Not for everyone but definitely worth seeing if you like the weird and creative.

FYI that was allowed for the 1930 poll (the year it has usually been listed in most sources and probably was when I ran that year) so it won't be allowed for this poll. It came it at #7.

Be true, Unbeliever.

Hiya flaiks

Thank you for contributing, there's a couple of musicals there I would like to see, while the sell for a pre-code LeRoy featuring a veritable feast of babes is mouth watering

Top titles:
-Blood of a Poet
-Trouble in Paradise
-Scarface
-Vampyr
-I am a fugitive from a chaingang

---

"You see things; and you say Why? But I dream things that never were and I say Why not?"

Le sang d'un poète (1932)
Vampyr (1932)

Thanks tobias

There's an S.J. Perelman piece in which a doctor, after attending at a difficult and stormy delivery, wipes his brow, pulls himself up to full height, and informs an onlooker: "That baby is Victor Hugo!"

In somewhat the same spirit - or the hell with it - the 5-year-old featured player in this novelty short from 1932 is Flannery O'Connor:

Do You Reverse?
http://www.openculture.com/2012/06/author_flannery_oconnor_captured_on_film_at_age_5.html

Put it on a tripod!

Hey, that's great. Thanks for posting that.

Will Hays is my shepherd, I shall not want. Wills prod and Will's gaff, they confound me.

Do You Reverse?

interior

Looking forward to The Conquerors (1932). Does anyone have anything to say about it? I mainly want to see it to further appreciate Ann Harding's acting chops.

The Conquerors

Not seen it myself. Looks under seen, probably availability issues in the past?